Koi Spawn in Southern California

Reaction score
Some photos of the filteration and pump. I can take close up shots if needed. The bag in the pic covers the Zapp Pure. It shorted inside and Im in the process of fixing it so I covered it with the bag.

Attachments

• 1A708677.jpg
    1A708677.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 325530A5.jpg
    325530A5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 365
  • C21008CE.jpg
    C21008CE.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Anybody? Again sorry for posting this on your thread Dave, if there is a way the mods can move it to my old thread that would be great. Im having more problems now. Yesterday I noticed the big waterfall started going slow. I didn't think much of it, but later that night (around 9) it totally stopped but the pump was running. The little creak stayed on, but went of overnight when I woke up. Im working on it now any advice? Should change the filter option to circulation, or backwash? I also cleaned out the leaf catcher, but It might be that my filter is clogged possibly.

Thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Brian said:
Anybody? Again sorry for posting this on your thread Dave, if there is a way the mods can move it to my old thread that would be great. Im having more problems now. Yesterday I noticed the big waterfall started going slow. I didn't think much of it, but later that night (around 9) it totally stopped but the pump was running. The little creak stayed on, but went of overnight when I woke up. Im working on it now any advice? Should change the filter option to circulation, or backwash? I also cleaned out the leaf catcher, but It might be that my filter is clogged possibly.

Thanks!

Brian
I don't believe I can move your post. I can edit or delete it but I can't move it.

Not many of us have experience in sand filters as they are not normally used in Koi ponds. It sounds to me like you have a blockage. Can you use a garden hose and back flush the line to free the blockage?

If I were to use a sand filter, it would be as a polishing filter after all the others. Then I would tee it in so I could bypass it when it clogs.

I wish I could be more help, I have a feeling that everyone else feels the same way.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Brian
I don't believe I can move your post. I can edit or delete it but I can't move it.

Not many of us have experience in sand filters as they are not normally used in Koi ponds. It sounds to me like you have a blockage. Can you use a garden hose and back flush the line to free the blockage?

If I were to use a sand filter, it would be as a polishing filter after all the others. Then I would tee it in so I could bypass it when it clogs.

I wish I could be more help, I have a feeling that everyone else feels the same way.

Thanks Dave, if you want to delete this thats fine, I could just post it in my thread. Anyways, I couldn't get it to work yesterday. The thing is my filter, and pump are a good 25-30' away from my pond. So I've been told there's just air in my line since its so far away, but its also clogged, no doubt about it. Im working on it right now, Im hoping I could just get it running. Would you reccomend I build a bio-filter? If so, do you happen to have the link where it gives you directions on how to build it? I would hate for my adult koi, and there offerspring to die.

Also, the baby koi have grown, and are doing great. There eating the same pellets Im feeding my adults now.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are a lot of posts here by DrCase, Koiguy, others and myself on bio filters. You can search and get some great photos and ideas.
I guess I am just going to have to add a page to my website and devote it to Bio Filters.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if there the same as pool sand filters then if its blocked you need to turn it to back flush ...its turning the handle on the top to reverse ...not sure if that will be any help to you, you could try putting sand filters into google and see if that comes up with anything

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mister2driver said:
So how are the fry doing these days???

Peace-

If you are talking about fry from this years spawn, they have all been placed except 50 or so that I kept and are in my ponds. We will see in the spring how they turned out.

Reaction score
mister2driver said:
So how are the fry doing these days???

Peace-

the ones i got from DrDave are doing great the deaths have slowed to the occasional runt that doesnt eat but some are getting pretty big the smallest is 1/2" the biggest maybe 1.5"
theyre swimming around in a brand new 10 gallon with lots of plants and didnt take a but i would say about 30 are left

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
C2C, good to hear from you! Since most of those were challenged and slated for culling, you have done a fine job.
In the spring, the healthy ones need to be moved to a pond. A 10 gallon tank is not large enough, they need more water/room for them to grow and prosper.

Reaction score
sorry ive been busy with work, taking care of the 3 different species of babies, and trying to find a 10lb aluminum co2 tank
havent really had time for my pond that im letting run through the winter

yea i brought the baby koi in cause i could heat the water keep them pretty warm so i can feed them more food and get them to grow faster
cause im not sure they could have gone 2 months without feeding and cold temps

Reaction score
my planted tank setup that im planning

its the only thing that i really havent done in fish keeping

i cant really seem to find one at a good price in my area

Ask a Question