Koi Spawn in Southern California

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The small ones are about 3/4" but most are 1" to 1 1/2"..I took out one tobie today that was over 2"

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yours are growing fast. I only have a 5 hour window a day to feed mine. I'm home on vacation for the next 9 days so I will be able to feed mine more often. What are you feeding them now?
I'm using the Laguna small pellets and flake food with dried shrimp in it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I feed them frozen blood worms ,frozen brine shrimp,,and a lot of flake food...
all day long...they are realy growing fast

Reaction score
I dont mean to ask this in your thread, but do I need to seperate the fry from the adults? There all together in my 5000 gallon outdoor pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Brian it would help more make it.....they look like fish food to large koi
if you have a good place for them to hide it will help

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The really small koi that have not started to develop any color are most at risk of being eaten. Floating plants gives them places to hide and grow.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try and throw in some plants. They sell them pretty cheap at my local pond store. I'll head on down tomorrow. I dont know exactly how many there are I saw 5, and still see them once and a while, but its hard because my pond has a lot of algae

Reaction score
Also, I might as well ask this here since Im not getting help on my other thread. I noticed my adults appetite has decreased, and they haven't been comming up too much to eat anymore. Sometimes I see them, but they'll ignore the food. Would this be because there still spawning? This is my first summer keeping koi, so Im not too sure if this is normal or not. Thanks in advance.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Once the spawing is done, they will not spawn again until maybe the fall or not until late next spring. Have you done a water change since the spawn? That should have been done right away and several more as needed to clear up the water.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Once the spawing is done, they will not spawn again until maybe the fall or not until late next spring. Have you done a water change since the spawn? That should have been done right away and several more as needed to clear up the water.

I haven't done a water change since the spawn. Im adding water right now though, like you suggested. I cant clear up the water because its in almost full sun and the algae just comes right back. There was a short on the UV sterlizer so Im going to get to fixing it soon, but its going to be costly so Im holding it off for 2-3 months. Algae doesn't decrease appetite does it? I haven't seen my fish all day today. :)

Edit: I haven't backwashed my sand filter, so I'll do that and see if it helps, everything is running fine though.

Reaction score
Im not too sure if its a sand filter to tell you the truth. It has these inside the filter: http://www.mystickoi.com/subcat521.html I go to mystic koi, because there local and they use the same filters, and pump as I do. There filters have the same media as well. Anyways I took pics of my entire pond, and filteration system. I'm uploading the pics now.

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the pond, It has one large waterfall, and 1 small long creak that runs under the bridge. The water level looks low in the photo because I was in the process of adding more water, for a water change. Its hard to take a pic of the entire pond because of its angle. I also including a photo of what I think is the skimmer, correct? Does it need a lid?

Attachments

• 3FD23662.jpg
    3FD23662.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 60DA84C0.jpg
    60DA84C0.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 304
  • F2BD3DC1.jpg
    F2BD3DC1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 4EE9CEFB.jpg
    4EE9CEFB.jpg