koi spawning

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a March spawn would be nice...a nice long growout season before winter...of course you dont really have much winter to worry about there, huh?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mountaindew said:
Im in fort myers,FL and mine hadn't spawned yet.Is the season over or is there still time

Spawning season is just getting started, yep even in florida. I just talked to a friend in Sarasota, they have already had three or four spawns of Goldfish and the first Koi spawned there this morning. not a big spawn but he said he could clearly see eggs all over his spawning mops. He's moved his two big females in to the breeder tank today. He always waits another two or three days and lest them calm down before adding males. he's raised them for about five years now and I've seen a bunch of his babies. He must have something working in his favor. Last year his last Koi breed in late July so i would say you should be watching as any day it could happen.
Mine are chasing a little, but no signs of eggs yet. Getting another rain this afternoon so I'm watching close.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When they put out the "Do not disturb" signs :confused:
No seriously they start to chase the females all over and they push their bodies sideways up towards plants floating on the water and such as eggs are squirted out by the females. You must watch for these signs and when the chasing begins then put in the mops. They will think the mops are plants and go to them to lay the eggs and the males will be right behind.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Watched my one year old goldie being chased, all 4 inches of her. Not worried about spawning mops let nature do its thing they survive or not lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is my way of thinking also addy...............survival of the fittest :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep and with the size of my pond and low fish level I am sure some will survive!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet you will have quite a few survive especially if you have plants in there and nooks and crannies in the rocks or folds of the liner. I am surprised at how many of mine survive. Each year there are little black tiny fish darting around hither and yon among the plants :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I bet you will have quite a few survive especially if you have plants in there and nooks and crannies in the rocks or folds of the liner. I am surprised at how many of mine survive. Each year there are little black tiny fish darting around hither and yon among the plants :confused:
Well since I still hardly see the adults, doubt I will see the babies! but maybe they won't be as skittish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you feed them they will come............if not they have little cafe's they visit underwater that are more obliging :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL jw , honey said we will get a underwater movie camera so we can see the suckers, have it feed into the the tv. hd fish watching!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Goldies in your pond Addy will be a lot in the near future. No need to assist.
As for mountaindew, mops should be ready to put in already. soak them in clean water to allow them to sink and get saturated. I hang mine from my bridge and they swim back and forth through them, I start watching my water lettuce, The first eggs usually appear on them first. bright yellow little balls. as soon as I see those first chases and eggs it's time for the mops to go out. Mine are already hanging in the pond. They are doing some light chasing but nothing yet. I'm still not sure this year if I have a female for sure but I have my eye on my Doitsu Matsuba, She is the most swollen fish in the pond and is the one that the others seem to chase a little so far, She's about 15-16" long and over three years old so I'm sure she's old enough if it is a her.

Reaction score
Yea. Dropping my 12 mop heads in tonight on strings tied to rocks outside of the pond. Still early here for the Koi. But getting ready just in case. You never know Mother Nature's time clock.

Ask a Question