koi spawning

Reaction score
Will do. I have the baby tubs all setup and ready to go. Need to get one brewing up some nice green water and tiny natural food for them.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RSFish1 said:
Will do. I have the baby tubs all setup and ready to go. Need to get one brewing up some nice green water and tiny natural food for them.

got any tricks up your sleeve for getting green water? If I didn't want it I could probably have more than I needed. I have one tub that is in the sun for about 8 hours a day right now, I have two sponge filters running from air only. the other two tubs have small submersible pumps with sponge filters on the intakes and nylon stockings over them. they might get a hour of sun a day. All three are crystal clear and have been set-up for about two weeks. I used filtered pond water to fill them and cycled the sponges in the main pond before putting them in the baby tubs. I also have about a dozen sailfin mollies in each one just to keep the bacteria going until I am ready to put fry in. I would like to have at least one tub with pea green water as a first foods for them when they start freeswimming. By that point I should have brine shrimp naupali ready after day two or three.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Plant fertilizer? Like a lily tablet? I won't use anything that isn't pond safe. I watched a whole pond get wiped out from a single plant that had some chemical in it that reacted bad in the pond. All the fish had burned looking spots all over them and within 48 hours all were dead. Lettuce or spinach I have no issue adding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought Mollies loved to eat algae...........maybe they are keeping it free of the algae?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, Mollies will eat some alage growing on the sides, Not enough to stop the growth. What we are after is green water, This is one of the first foods that fry eat on when they become free swimming. Once I get it, If I do, no amount of mollies will be able to eat it all. LOL The dogs swimming pool is starting to turn that green color, I don't think I want to use their water though, no telling what all those two have brought and washed off in their pool!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fishin you can send them here to our place.............everything is green here in Washington especially right now w/ all the rain including my pond and I don't even want to go out there to fix it till it gets a bit warmer. Hope you get your green
stpatsworm.gif

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What the lab? Oh he would love it there, cool, wet, muddy, and lots of lovin, yep that's him, He loves to bring the outdoors inside, about once or twice a day! LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
What the lab? Oh he would love it there, cool, wet, muddy, and lots of lovin, yep that's him, He loves to bring the outdoors inside, about once or twice a day! LOL

Well I was talkin about the fry and all the green in my pond but I'll take the lovely lab too. We had a part lab/part golden retriever and he was the best dog we ever had

IMG_0116.jpg

And he loved the water also

IMG_0100.jpg

Reaction score
A mixture of some grass clippings, yeast and some water from your pond or a ditch should work. The grass clippings and water will probably introduce some of the smaller worms and rotifiers for food for babies. The yeast is a good food source for everything as it starts up. Here is a recipe I stole from another forum. The amounts can be cut down to the size of tank you are using.

In a 100 gallon container that has some aeration and dechlorinated water add the following...

One quart of hard boiled iceberg lettuce and the "juice" it was boiled in.

One good armful of fresh hay or a gallon or so of dried grass clippings.

One quart of "live" water from a watergarden pool, standing water in a ditch, or if nothing else, water from the fish pond.

What you're shooting for here is rotifers, glass worms, and other very small plankters that are not easily seen with the naked eye. If you see stuff easily that is swimming around like little "bugs" you either got Daphne or Cyclops, both too big for the fry to eat, and big enough to eat the fry. These are good foods for two week old fry.

Usually the rotifers will come along in about three or four days.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Awwww, he's so cool! I'll have to post a pic of my three one day, Johnny the choc. lab, China our 12 year old black Pug and Endy my 113 dog, That what you get when you breed a heinz 57 and a heinz 57 and get a puppy that's one off from having a full deck! She's our one eyed schizophrenic Psyco mutt. LOL Almost two years old now and changing colors and fur type, I think she may have some cat and comet mixed in there as well.....

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks, That is more of what I was looking for. I knew I had read a formula similar to that before. The water is already starting to form some green but not pea green. I've got mosguitos larve in there now, I always thought they couldn't produce unless the water was still? anyways, FISHFOOD! netting most out and my Redhook Silver dollars and Redtail shark got a good treat today, the water is already starting to form some green but not pea green, I'll play around with that, I think I can get that to work for me. Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Mmmmm....Mosquito larvae. When baby koi are a little under a inch long they will tear those up. I had fun scooping moquito larvae out of any place I could find standing water last year. I was amazed where all I found standing water and larvae at. Now I know why the mosquitos are so bad.

Ask a Question