Koi to small to survive winter?

Reaction score
Hey there, had a random thought regarding the upcoming winter and some of my smaller Koi'. I know my larger koi (>6") do fine during the cold New York winters but I am wondering if I should be concerned about my new smaller ones (under 3")? Does size not matter with regards to cold? Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If the big ones can make it the little fellers will too

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive left as many as 18 - 20 juveniles/ fingerlings 2-3"ers in my outdoor pond .. no pump,aerator.not even a hole in the ice...and they were all fine the next spring...theyre quite hardy. they didnt want to get caught in september when my guys go in the basement pond so out side they stayed....and thats in a michigan zone 5b winter, 3 - 4 months froze over.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually smaller fish usually will do better over winter than larger fish. they use less oxygen, and put off less waste and can hide in deep areas without being disturbed far more easily than a large koi can.

Ask a Question