koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Hello everyone

I bought my first lou fish today that looked in good health but when I put them in the pond they went to a hiding spot in the corner of the pond and they have been there most of the day and not swimming around.

Should this be a concern

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"Lou" fish? Is that a thing or a typo?

But in general no, new fish feel very insecure in a new pond and will frequently make themselves scarce for a few days.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Animals are keenly aware of their environment and any changes to it. Your Koi has been introduced into a completely alien environment. This triggered the 'flee' response. Once the fish feels relatively safe from harm or predation it will resume normal behavior. Do not feed during this period.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are scared to death of you ,you big mean person .:)They see you now as a predator after a few days of seeing you and you feeding them they will come out as they will associate you with food .I hand fed mine from the beginning and they love everyone that put there hands by the pond and come up to say hello .Aggie does get mad though if after all this attention she does not get food .How dare you not feed me is her attitude

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I purchased a butterfly koi and a comet and it was
a month before they started to be comfortable in their new environment. Perfectly normal behavior. .

Ask a Question