Resource icon

Lack of vitamins and their effects on our koi and the answer to this...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I make sure my koi get some koi clay also .plus it helps buffer the water
koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
.Kitty litter is the same but it can have contain some cast offs from production and may not be pure or clean .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
don't feel bad, my fish are the same way... they dislike fruit.

I think the bigger the fish is the more likely they will explore other food. The younger fish are like children.... they refuse to eat their greens and fruits.
I've heard Koi are like 2 year olds, if you try to feed them something that's good for them, it's full power to the force fields! It may take several rejections before they decide they can't live without it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard Koi are like 2 year olds, if you try to feed them something that's good for them, it's full power to the force fields! It may take several rejections before they decide they can't live without it.

Oh yes that is so true ours have a soft spot for Large Oranges , Raw King Prawn and much much more [tested out on them over the last 30 years now] uniquely on ourselves first from time to time :LOL:-
Please feel free to copy this list and try things yourselves next summer

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi-and-goldfish.4/

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We feed watermelon and oranges in wedges with the rind on. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries for them to get into it. We put in six wedges and eventually they go nuts for them. We call it koi hockey because they attack the fruit in teams and eventually drive some into the skimmer. Goal!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Would be great if natural ways were listed to feed them these vitamins ,yes one is citrus and fruits , may b spinach , what else ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Cabbage, they like green or red leafy vegetables and cabbage has choline vitamin C and vitamin K, thiamin (vitamin B1), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5).

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I buy the OSI treats for my koi in orange strawberry and blueberry .They love them and use just tetra food .Plus mine love fresh fruit .
years ago when fishing outside here in Canada, my hubby always told me that fish love eating berries that fall into creek and that was good spot to fish, under berry bushes! I noticed my koi eat the rotten crab apples and all the little choke cherries that fall into ponds during the year as well...

Ask a Question