large disgusting bug

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
When pulling out our filter to rinse it off, a large disgusting bug fell off. We've had the pond for 3-4 years now, and have never seen this before. Is it harmful to our fish and wildlife?

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
here's a picture

Attachments

• bugs Large Web view.jpg
    bugs Large Web view.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 420

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
Ok, we have the pond down to about a foot deep. Very very green, but the two koi are still there, and look healthy. We weren't sure as a heron stakes out our pond. That's one thing about the green water, it's probably saved them. My question is should we pull out the koi and do a complete water change to get rid of the algae, or should we just get some barley extract, treat it while it's low, and then fill it back up?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
honestly to me they look like juvenile locust.. but i am no entimologist,for the green water problem, i would throw in some peroxide for a day then start filling the pond...dechlorinate and add the barley extract as it fills. thats how barley extract works it biodegrades, ferments..releasing humic acids that then become hydrogen peroxide..

Reaction score
yep, that looks like a cicada/locust thingee. They are horrid looking creatures and big as a man's thumb! They make that lovely screetching sound in the evenings that I love, but heck they are ugly. Yours look like their wings disintegrated by being in the water so long.

They come in a bunch of colors--sometimes they're green, sometimes brown, sometimes black with crazy blue highlights. Some are fatter, some are more slender. Dunno why. All I know is that they creep me out. LOL!

Here's what they look like alive.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Unless you have small fry or tadpoles you desperately want... put those suckers back in! They look to be typical dragonfly larvae and are GREAT to have around. They will eat all kinds of worse things... including many times their weight in skeeter larvae!

Here is a page of images from Google. Search under dragonfly nymph:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=dragonfly+nymph&aq=f&oq=

BTW... that weird thing on the mouth is called the "mask" and allows them to be wicked good at catching their meals!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
LOL

They WILL attack and kill small minnows... so if you have little ones, it could be a problem.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
They ARE ugly... aren't they?

They leave the water like that before they change. Had one land on me repeatedly while I was working on the pond last week. Would not take no for an answer.

Did I mention that I HATE bugs? Especially ugly ones! LOL

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
They grossed me out as badly as snakes. I don't believe we have little ones this year. We had trouble the past two years with too many babies surviving. I made the mistake the first year of putting comets in with the koi. I must have had 30 or 40 goldfish in there. My neighbors children took many fish home. :) We have kept only two koi, the other koi fed the heron.

Ask a Question