large disgusting bug

Reaction score
Here is one from our pond...
Pond20081212_DragonFly1.JPG
Pond20081212_DragonFly2.JPG
Pond20081212_DragonFly3.JPG

I don't kill anything in our pond, besides the single snail I found I believe was introduced from pond plants but I guess the pond is more a wildlife pond.

When the fish fry where still very small I was watching a large dragonfly nymph hunting the fry. It was all happening too fast for me to see but in the end after I thought he had caught a number I realised the native fish fry where just too fast as the same number fry in the group where still swimming around. No doubt they could catch most things - they can strike very fast!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Binary said:
Here is one from our pond...
Pond20081212_DragonFly1.JPG
Pond20081212_DragonFly2.JPG
Pond20081212_DragonFly3.JPG

I don't kill anything in our pond, besides the single snail I found I believe was introduced from pond plants but I guess the pond is more a wildlife pond.

When the fish fry where still very small I was watching a large dragonfly nymph hunting the fry. It was all happening too fast for me to see but in the end after I thought he had caught a number I realised the native fish fry where just too fast as the same number fry in the group where still swimming around. No doubt they could catch most things - they can strike very fast!

Binary
Please go to the User CP at the top of this page and add your location.

Reaction score
Hi,
i would throw in some peroxide for a day then start filling the pond...dechlorinate and add the barley extract as it fills. thats how barley extract works it biodegrades, ferments..releasing humic acids that then become hydrogen peroxide..

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
It started to clear with the initial dose of barley and peroxide, but has started to green back up. How often can I add peroxide in it? I bought another bottle and I'm thinking about putting that one in, too.

Reaction score
Hi,
Very very green, but the two koi are still there, and look healthy. We weren't sure as a heron stakes out our pond. That's one thing about the green water, it's probably saved them. My question is should we pull out the koi and do a complete water change to get rid of the algae, or should we just get some barley extract, treat it while it's low, and then fill it back up?

Linda A

Linda
Reaction score
aji1217 said:
Dragonfly nymphs will eat anything that is smaller than they are, so be careful if you have small fish/fry in your pond.
No small fish. One koi that started as a 4" one 4 years ago and is about12" I would guess, and one that we put in last year, who is about 7" or so now. I'm going out to take a picture of my murky pond now.

Reaction score
aji1217 said:
Dragonfly nymphs will eat anything that is smaller than they are, so be careful if you have small fish/fry in your pond.

They can't be too bad? - I had decent numbers of Dragonfly nymphs & backsimmers during summer and still had 70 odd fry survive - they are 7 months old now. I guess it also depends on the fish species though.

Reaction score
And how hungry the nymphs are. They may eat some, but they aren't bottomless pits. They just eat enough to get em to develop. Plus I am sure they would prefer easier prey (bugs, mosquito larvae..etc)

Ask a Question