Latest pond pictures.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Ididntdoit, It looks very nice. Do you have to dig up the cannas bulbs in the fall?
Yep, the cannas and the elephant ears are the only plants that require any maintinence around the pond (besides the lillies in the pond), I have to dig those up and put them in the basement in the fall. Everything else I have tried to plant can stay right there, die off in the winter months and grow back in the spring. I really didnt want to have to do anymore work than I HAVE to in the fall and spring, but I liked the plants so much I decided to put some in.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
These are actually mini ones also. The one mammoth one is the one that for some reason wants to die on me, might have just been a bad bulb (I bought that one this year) It sprouted, grew on leaf, and then is slowly shriveling away. My mother and grandmother both have lots of the full size or mamoth ones, I have seen leaves like 4 feet long and 3 feet wide on them, really cool plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are petite this year, Last year they were huge.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Reminds me of a plant that I have that won't bloom this year or get big , it's green, but it's not performing right this year, I think it's called a old fashion diathasis. Every year there is aways something that does just great and something that wants to die off. That's why its good to have a mixed flower bed. Gosh I can't believe I'm up so late... yawn!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
oh yeah, they spend a lot of time on that side of the pond.The curent is fun for them to swim in, and also makes a good cover to hide in, sometimes they are hard to find when they are sitting right by that running water.

I will have to get some new pictures this weekend, its looks so different already, the pond plants must have liked the week of cooler weather we had (now its 103° again, but it was in the 80's for a week or so) because they took off. I finally made some floating rings for my water lettuce because they kept plugging up the skimmer. I made two of them and they are overflowing already (and plugging up the skimmer again when they break off) You could barely see any lettuce in these pictures. lillies are better too, but my fish are still constantly eating the leaves, so i dont think they will ever look good. I only have two right now, maybe if i get more next year it wont be so bad.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Okay, here the pond is with the added rock, nothing special, but added some more around the outside so you cant see the liner anywhere, plants have gone nuts specially the water lettuce.

pond 5.JPG

pond.JPG

pond2.JPG

pond4.JPG

pond6.JPG

pond 3.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond looks nice and it sure is flourishing w/plants. Wow the water lettuce overfloweth,lol and that is a very neat looking dragonfly!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Oh yeah, when the sun is overhead you can see straight to the bottom. Only issue with having a fence all the way around it, it cast shadow across the pond for a lot of the day and makes it harder to see, but yep, my skimmer and filters seem to be doing a good job, heres some pictures of the fish i took yesterday too.

fish 3.JPG

fish.JPG

fish 2.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm partial to that big white one w/ the black spots but all of them are nice!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well I just cant get you guys current pond picture because it changes very 5 minutes :)

as you could see, i was letting the weeds go nuts, honestly, i liked it. Looked pretty natural to me, but Carol got a bug up her butt this morning and started pulling weeds, and i was like well, if you are going to pull them, we might as well cover the ground so they don't come back (as much anyway)

So, I hooked up the trailer, went to the closest greenhouse and bought a yard of all natural mulch. Then after 2 1/2 hours of weeding, covering, and mulching, we went out to my grandparents to take the kids swimming, and I got a new frog statue, it was my birthday present, and I hadn't seen them for a few weeks, so I got it today.

Current pics as of an hour ago... It could change again tomorrow... who knows.

602655_3429427826500_1351814241_n.jpg

165884_3429422506367_1821402049_n.jpg

302440_3429428106507_1985855756_n.jpg

526404_3429428266511_283206618_n.jpg

My poor swing... i refuse to let that thing go... it wont look so bad when we get a new cushion for it. but the entire support ripped out of it, so I wove a rope around the entire thin, which works great, it is actually more comfortable than it was..just need to find a cushion for that size of swing.

Ask a Question