Leaky hose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does anyone have any tips to get a kink-free hose to stop leaking on a barbed fitting? The hose is 3/4" as is the smallest barb on the fitting. It's a tight fit - you really have to work to get it on or off - and we're using a hose clamp that came with the filter that looks like this:

media_5aeb1feb-8f57-4e39-a16d-30aa2fb29343.jpg

It's just a drip drip drip around the top of the hose, but I can't figure out how to make it stop.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If too tight to get some teflon tape on the barb perhaps a different clamp maybe? I usually use stainless worm gear type hose clamp. Perhaps the wider band on the ridge of the barb will do the trick. You can use a nut driver to get them really tight.

1623369294784.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pvc glue but youll want to use the blue it does not weld as hot as the others so it won't damage the pipe but it has to be completely dry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wondered about the clamp @JRS - it's not one I've seen or used before, but the hose is ribbed so I figured that's why they sent this one in the package.

@GBBUDD does that make it a permanent connection?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisa, is it not possible to swap the corrugated hose out and find something like flex pvc? We've had enough posts demonstrating how often this type malfunctions/is problematic.

All that said, were it mine, I'd use two worm-gear hose clamps as noted above. If that doesn't do it, I'd put some silicone glue on the barb and then put the hose over it, then the clamps. You'll need to let the silicone glue compeletely dry for 24 hrs. And use pure silicone, not some mixture thereof.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mostly yes................. can it be cut off carefully and retored to the very close to original yes. if your talking to a barb fitting off a pump you can also use some pipe dope / liquid Teflon but let it dry after fitting is redone . double clamps/ you could also get a fernco and slip that over and clamp that around the leak

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisa, is it not possible to swap the corrugated hose out and find something like flex pvc?

It's tough stuff - not like the corrugated sump pump hose. They call it "kink free hose" but it reminds me of a smaller version of flex PVC. You can't smash it like you could the cheap stuff. It's smooth on the inside and ribbed on the outside.

Mostly yes................. can it be cut off carefully and retored to the very close to original yes.

My only hesitation is that this is my temporary fines filter - finally arrived and got it set up! (Which is a whole other story.) But it's something that we will pack up and store away when we don't need it, so I'd like all the plumbing to be removable. The whole thing - pump, hose, filter pads - all fit nicely inside the filter box for storage.

I may just live with the tiny drip. Or try some plumbers tape. We're calling the company we bought it from today to see if there's any solution they recommend. A different kind of clamp would be an easy solution if it would work. But I bet they use the one that was included because of the ribbed exterior. Oy... nothing is ever easy!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it is smooth on the inside then the Fernco coupling will work. Personally, I love my sump pump hose, easy to clamp, stays flexable and super cheap compared to others. Been running it on the one pond for over 5 years!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I vote for the silicone idea.

Make sure everything is dry. Spread silicone on the barb shove the hose on it, clamp it good and let it sit overnight to cure. That's gotta work. Plus, the silicone will help to slide the hose onto the barb.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sometimes a small drip will self-seal due to build up of algae or debris filling the void. Sunlight on the fitting can warm things up and cause it to seal. Whatever the reason, it has sealed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did think it was probably the heat @mrsclem - we've been in the high 80s and yesterday hit 93. Whatever the reason, I'll take it!

The heat however I can do without... doing a lot of rescue watering these last few weeks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats more then likely why the pipe warmed up and self formed to the pressures of the hose clamp

Ask a Question