Legal to harvest Wild Water Hyacinth?

Scubamike74

Scubamike74
Reaction score
So I was driving along the delta today on HWY4. I noticed that the bogs that run adjacent to the road were FULL of hyacinth. They were very large and healthy looking. My question is...can I harvest some for my pond? Obviously I would thoroughly clean and rinse them before placing them in my pond. I just don't want to get a ticket for a $2 plant. It's just that these were bigger and healthier than any I have seen in the stores. :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Best thing you can do is check with your states Wildlife and Fisheries agency and see what the law states, Some states don't have any laws about taking of plants, but does about keeping them, some allow the taking if they are already growing in the state but may not allow them to be transported. For our state you can find them all over everywhere, Legal to remove, But you can't ship them or transport them across state lines. I have never had a DWLF agent stop or ask me about removing nuisance plants. But I did have one that almost ticketed me for catching minnows in a dip net without a fishing license. So it's better to know ahead of time how the law reads for your specific area.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
. I have never had a DWLF agent stop or ask me about removing nuisance plants. But I did have one that almost ticketed me for catching minnows in a dip net without a fishing license. So it's better to know ahead of time how the law reads for your specific area.
And in florida you can net any non-game minnows whenever and pretty much wherever you like. So yes, check out your state laws. Being the person I am, I trust my abilities with a search engine far more than some joe schmuckatelky giving me the quickest get me of the phone answer. I would look it up.

Reaction score
LOL... Just go grab a couple and IF caught, tell the green police you have a child interested in "environmental science" who wants to run an experiement on how fast specific plants remove nutrients from the water .... even if it isnt legal, it should get you out of a fine AND still likely to end up with the plants!

Scubamike74

Scubamike74
Reaction score
Well I called Fish and Game. The first girl did not know so I was transferred. The second guy said it is legal but strongly suggests a different kind of plant due to the infestation of hyacinth in waterways.

Reaction score
Great news .. go collect a few (and clean well as you already said) ... when they multiply (and they will), just throw the excess into your compost.

Scubamike74

Scubamike74
Reaction score
I just spoke to yet another DF&G Officer and he says that it's illegal. Ugggg what a pain...

Ask a Question