j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lol, I hear you. My wife cannot stand all the extra liner, I have had to hold her back from cutting, telling her everyone says dont cut it. I totally understand the reasoning behind not cutting. But like you said sometimes you do have to. I actually did listen to all of you when I read post after post saying to make your pond bigger then you think you want. So I did maximize the size of the pond with the initial build. I realistically do not have space to expand much more because of trees, old cess pool (another story) or expanding further into the yard that might interfere with the existing septic system.
If you do cut just make sure you keep enough in case things sink down a bit after settling otherwise you will be sorry, oh yes I know. Wish I would have kept more of mine rolled up and tucked down in the dirt where you can't see it anyways.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had hoped there would have been someone adding a photo or video of their favorite area of the ponds. edging. Like @j.w And you stone crop and parrot feather area. Or @cas with your neat clean edges. @addy1 with your long bog and wall detail. And 100's of feet of stream edging. @Jhn With your containment area for the turtles and letting the liner run way outside what appears to be the edge of the pond. Even @YShahar with your new pond and how your worked with rock on rock. Experience is worth it's weight in gold.
This is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had hoped there would have been someone adding a photo or video of their favorite area of the ponds. edging. Like @j.w And you stone crop and parrot feather area. Or @cas with your neat clean edges. @addy1 with your long bog and wall detail. And 100's of feet of stream edging. @Jhn With your containment area for the turtles and letting the liner run way outside what appears to be the edge of the pond. Even @YShahar with your new pond and how your worked with rock on rock. Experience is worth it's weight in gold.
This is
I've noticed its been pretty quiet on the forum the last couple of weeks. Guessing it is just vacation time for people. You are stuck with the lawyer;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We could do A LOT better if you stop reminding me.........

Na it's cool never know when you'll need a friend from a completely different walk of life. I'm sure there has to be one honest Joe out there.

Yeah I imagine it's the last hurrah for vacations as Lasorda is this weekend and what's my plan go sit in traffic for literally one full day out of three. Nope I'm sitting pond side with the Barby cooking sitting and chatting with the Mrs well see everyone in the weeks to come. I built my vacation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We could do A LOT better if you stop reminding me.........

Na it's cool never know when you'll need a friend from a completely different walk of life. I'm sure there has to be one honest Joe out there.

Yeah I imagine it's the last hurrah for vacations as Lasorda is this weekend and what's my plan go sit in traffic for literally one full day out of three. Nope I'm sitting pond side with the Barby cooking sitting and chatting with the Mrs well see everyone in the weeks to come. I built my vacation.
Great to hear, hope you enjoy. I do happy law, real estate. Friday, taking the family to Six Flags NE, but right back to working on the pond on the weekend;)

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
This is

I'll add a photo or two a bit later today (or maybe tomorrow). Been working on some intensive book layout projects recently, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the pond. I'm still chipping away at the interior of the bog area, and making really slow progress. Just too hot to work for very long out there. But we've got a month of holidays coming up, including Sukkot - a holiday where we live outdoors for a week. It would be great to at least have the bog lined and running by then!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Buy a decent hammer drill and we already talked about wedges if it takes a month of Mondays it take a month of Mondays wish I was 5000 miles closer I'd help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok Mr pushy man @GBBUDD I'll give ya a taste of what I have done. I really liked the path I made on one side of my pond back when I first made it but now it has growth all over. Guess I should have maintained it better but I didn't so oh well!
IMG_5203.JPG

Gone wild now but I eventually will trim away some of that Creeping Jenny but only off the path as it wants to take over the world!
IMG_9635.JPG

Can't hardly see the path or any of the rocks around the pond anymore. That's ok as I prefer the wild look and all those ferns just showed up on their own:

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

My most favorite love of all is the giant palm tree:
IMG_0236.JPG

My least favorite of course is the net but w/o it I would have no fish and a giant mess w/the raccoons getting in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why I have never been referred to as pushy / mazzhole, stubborn, male, having little sauvewafair maybe but never pushy
" did you buy it "
Now that's what I'm talking about some personal flair from some of the regulars nice job @j.w
I love the walk why not just take the weed wacker to it yeah it can come back but the more you do it the less it does come back .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok Mr pushy man @GBBUDD I'll give ya a taste of what I have done.
Join the club, he made me post pictures too, lol. He's only two hours from me so I have to obey. Love the pond. Had no idea you had palm trees out there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Why I have never been referred to as pushy / mazzhole, stubborn, male, having little sauvewafair maybe but never pushy
" did you buy it "
Now that's what I'm talking about some personal flair from some of the regulars nice job @j.w
I love the walk why not just take the weed wacker to it yeah it can come back but the more you do it the less it does come back .
It's not hard to pull up the Creeping Jenny, I'm just lazy but I'll get to it one of these days :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I found it! My "lots of liner" picture! I would challenge anyone to try and hide THIS:
Lots of liner.JPG

OK, now for my "favorite edge" picture... I'm gonna show you my naked pond. This was early on when my plants were still babies. Like I mentioned, our goal was a low edge, which means all the shelves had to be properly dug so the rocks would be low enough in the water but not TOO low. Every rock was a bit of up/down/up again to get the depth right and leave enough height to fold the liner up behind the rock on the land side and conceal it. No liner showing anywhere was the extremely important to me.

Favorite spot? That big rock that is right to the left of that clump of dead reeds near the bottom of the picture. That rock looks like it overhangs the pond, but it's actually perfectly fitted to the shelf below it so it is 100% stable and a great spot to stand and feed the fish or sit your bottom down and drop your feet in the water.

April 2018.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found it! My "lots of liner" picture! I would challenge anyone to try and hide THIS:
View attachment 160150

OK, now for my "favorite edge" picture... I'm gonna show you my naked pond. This was early on when my plants were still babies. Like I mentioned, our goal was a low edge, which means all the shelves had to be properly dug so the rocks would be low enough in the water but not TOO low. Every rock was a bit of up/down/up again to get the depth right and leave enough height to fold the liner up behind the rock on the land side and conceal it. No liner showing anywhere was the extremely important to me.

Favorite spot? That big rock that is right to the left of that clump of dead reeds near the bottom of the picture. That rock looks like it overhangs the pond, but it's actually perfectly fitted to the shelf below it so it is 100% stable and a great spot to stand and feed the fish or sit your bottom down and drop your feet in the water.

View attachment 160151
Wow that was a lot of liner. I dont feel so bad now with what I have left over, lol. Amazing job though to hide the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh i understand a bit over estimated liner like i said above . i utilized and adapted the design to incorporate the design. Brian from aquascapes always says you can never draw it and build it let the rocks and the project talk to you. the rock on the right on the mound of liner is what became the bog on a hill
Pond liner_.jpg
Pond liner_-2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 160150

View attachment 160151
SO WAS THE LINER ON THE RIGHT RUN OUT SO THAT THERES A GRADUAL DECLINE INTO THE POND BUT THE LINER GOES BACK LIKE 2 OR 3 FEET FROM THE EDGE ?

Ask a Question