Let's talk Edging a Liner pond.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I found it! My "lots of liner" picture! I would challenge anyone to try and hide THIS:

Whoa! I think if I'd had that much liner left over, it would have been "Goodbye Garden. Hello Lake."! No way would I be able to pass up the opportunity to add to the pond. But then it would have taken me another year of pickaxing through caliche and limestone, so probably good that I didn't have much extra liner in the end.

I like the "naked pond" photo, as it gives some context to the mature pond. We should have a thread for Before-and-After!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
OK, as per @GBBUDD's request for edging shots, I did a quick video of the pond the other day, focusing specifically on the edges. There are a few places where a fair bit of liner is still showing: one place where I may add a marshy planting area, and one place where I'll have a smaller stream coming out of the bog.

Not a particularly photogenic view of the pond, as it's toward the end of the day, and there's a ton of floating algae. In the background, you can see the unfinished steam and bog construction. Just about ready to line the bog! At the moment, we've got a dust storm from right off the Sahara, so bog work is on hold for a day or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whoa! I think if I'd had that much liner left over, it would have been "Goodbye Garden. Hello Lake."! No way would I be able to pass up the opportunity to add to the pond. But then it would have taken me another year of pickaxing through caliche and limestone, so probably good that I didn't have much extra liner in the end.

I like the "naked pond" photo, as it gives some context to the mature pond. We should have a thread for Before-and-After!
Ha! We needed to be able to walk around the pond and we’re hemmed in on three sides with raised beds and retaining walls. Maxed out the pond space we had, I guarantee you that!

The excess liner was all used eventually - we used it for rock slings to move some big boys and eventually built another water feature in the front yard!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK, as per @GBBUDD's request for edging shots, I did a quick video of the pond the other day, focusing specifically on the edges. There are a few places where a fair bit of liner is still showing: one place where I may add a marshy planting area, and one place where I'll have a smaller stream coming out of the bog.

Not a particularly photogenic view of the pond, as it's toward the end of the day, and there's a ton of floating algae. In the background, you can see the unfinished steam and bog construction. Just about ready to line the bog! At the moment, we've got a dust storm from right off the Sahara, so bog work is on hold for a day or so.
Nicely done @YShahar this is exactly what I was asking for.
This pond shows how she placed all the smaller rock below the waterline and saved the most interesting large boulders for edging. And this was done with no equipment. And by a grandmother. My hat off to you @YShahar I know what you have been trough to get it here and I'm sure that's only the half of it..
Water looks great and the bog isn't even running as yet. So we have on the shallow side a pond in Israel where dust storms are coming in from the Sahara desert Temps would make most of us whine "at least I'd be"
There's no look of a string of pears . Along the edge and I see longer rocks saved just for that purpose. OK @Jhn @bagsmom your up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Gorgeous, thank you for sharing. Nice that one fish seems to be saying "hi" to all of us, or maybe "stop filming and feed me" lol.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Gorgeous, thank you for sharing. Nice that one fish seems to be saying "hi" to all of us, or maybe "stop filming and feed me" lol.
Yeah, that's our lone koi, Pepper. Someone posted in our town's Facebook group asking if anyone would come and take a "really big fish" off their hands. The poor fish was swimming in really awful water in one of those tiny pre-formed ponds. So he kinda followed me home.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You want to see pushy assertive and gruff talk politics . I hate where this World is going its playing right into the hands of Confushous says .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh @YShahar your pond edging along w/ everything else is so nice and natural looking. Reminds me a lot of @GBBUDD 's pond. And no string of PEARS, lol, although pears are quite tasty to some and might be fun to be able to just pick up one now and then while out by the pond.
pear eyes.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nicely done @YShahar this is exactly what I was asking for.
This pond shows how she placed all the smaller rock below the waterline and saved the most interesting large boulders for edging. And this was done with no equipment. And by a grandmother. My hat off to you @YShahar I know what you have been trough to get it here and I'm sure that's only the half of it..
Water looks great and the bog isn't even running as yet. So we have on the shallow side a pond in Israel where dust storms are coming in from the Sahara desert Temps would make most of us whine "at least I'd be"
There's no look of a string of pears . Along the edge and I see longer rocks saved just for that purpose. OK @Jhn @bagsmom your up .

Reaction score
Country
United States
One tip for you when it comes to gluing pvc pipe . Dry fit the pipe to start set it up as it would be when your done. Then take a sharpie and make at least a 1 inch line across both pieces and number them both 1. next pieces 2 . This is your can't go wrong marks . MAKE SURE TO USE PRIMER / CLEANER. so many say ah you can skip thar step and for may fittings they can be right but then on that one fitting that fails there goes your pump and fish.
II also recomend the HD stuff for a buck more why not. Clean the fittings both ends to be glued and slip them together but with your marks off from each other just a little like an inch and as you slip them together twist them so the line is now aligned. Hold them together for 10 seconds and your done.
I will recomend ball valves on everything this way you can regulate flow going where and how much.
Unions on both sides of the pump if you don't already from the pump manufacturer.
They sell a strap wrench for larger fittings like the unions I suggest you get one.
And if your pumping up to a waterfall or bog you'll need something to break the siphone when the power goes out I suggest a vacuum breaker. But a simple hole in the pipe just below of pointing at the surface can work as well but becareful it doesn't get clogged.
The only other question is circulating jets the jets that have directional nozzles are well worth the money.
How many jets are needed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many return jests is not the same for every pond. The key is to not have any dead spots in the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a nice evening, so I decided to record a video while walking around the pond. Talking about techniques I used to hide the liner above the water line. The pond is 6 years old now and has certainly matured. I am going to put together a post similar to my showcase but solely talking about edging. So if you have a particular area that your particularly proud of, post it here. It would be great to make this a group effort and add a touch of everyone's personal style.

Omg. I want to be like you when I grow up. This is beautiful awesome work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All your fault @GBBUDD that we spent the day in the woods looking for ideas to use in the pond. One bee sting later (yes lawsuit coming your way) we came up with a few things. Came away with a lot of moss covered items. Photos attached show some items, nothing set just ideas. Incorporating some ideas that @YShahar had for the stream. Through the whole project we have tried to use material from the yard since it was an old farm, so there is some interesting things to use. Thanks again for the inspiration.
Nice! Have fun.

Ask a Question