Let's talk liners and liner protection

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I used rubber roofing in my upper pond waterfall pond and only was told by goodyear to rinse the powder off of it really well , they told me that they use different stuff to keep pond liners from sticking to each other when folded or rolled up by the company . put it in last year and let rain wash it off really good and used a brush to make sure it was clean since I had fish to worry about .

Interesting! I'll definitely be sure to give it a good scrubbing. I'm not even sure where I'll have space to unroll it to wash it off, considering that the entire back garden is now a big rock pile. But I'll think of something!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Interesting! I'll definitely be sure to give it a good scrubbing. I'm not even sure where I'll have space to unroll it to wash it off, considering that the entire back garden is now a big rock pile. But I'll think of something!
I didn't scrub mine, just gave it a good rinse w/a hard spray of water. No fish were killed and all was good in the world. It might be able to be done while in your pond. Just will need to suck out all the water, wipe it down and prolly good enough :joyful:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I didn't scrub mine, just gave it a good rinse w/a hard spray of water. No fish were killed and all was good in the world. It might be able to be done while in your pond. Just will need to suck out all the water, wipe it down and prolly good enough :joyful:
Well, that's encouraging! I'm really itching to get the thing lined and start work on the rocking in. For one thing, I'm running out of space to put all the fist-sized rocks that are coming out of the dig!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well, that's encouraging! I'm really itching to get the thing lined and start work on the rocking in. For one thing, I'm running out of space to put all the fist-sized rocks that are coming out of the dig!
I know exactly how you are feeling. We've all been there, that excitement of rolling that liner into that big hole, filling it w/water and adding all the rocks and then the plants and then the then the and on and on it goes! :smuggrin:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Just for the fun of it, here's a photo of the type of soil I'm digging in (glove added for scale). This is why I'm going to need every bit of padding I can get for the liner!

rocky-soil-web.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Wow! you really are going to need every bit of padding. No way to simply clear that hole of rocks.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I know exactly how you are feeling. We've all been there, that excitement of rolling that liner into that big hole, filling it w/water and adding all the rocks and then the plants and then the then the and on and on it goes! :smuggrin:
Yes! I keep dreaming of sitting on the patio looking out toward the little stream and hearing burbling water from my bedroom window. Heaven!

And then, I also just really want all those rocks out of the middle of the garden already! The area where the rock pile is now is destined to be covered with white river rock (whatever is left over from the pond build) to provide a smooth expanse on the near side of the pond. This will contrast with the rugged stone edging on the far side -- soft and smooth on one side, wild and jagged on the other. Should be a nice contrast. But first, I've got to get the bloody thing dug!

As I mentioned to @GBBUDD on another thread, I could just go ahead and line it already. In fact, I could have done that a month ago, when the deep zone was only 60 cm. That would have given me the impact I needed to complete the Japanese style landscape. But then I'd always be kicking myself for not making the pond deep enough to sit in on hot summer days, not to mention that fact that the water would heat up a lot more in summer, and the ecology would be that much less self-sustaining.

So I'll keep widening the deep part, with the goal of making it about 2 meters in diameter and about 89-90 cm deep. That's already more volume than most backyard ponds of this surface area, and should help compensate a bit for our long hot (and getting hotter) summers.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! you really are going to need every bit of padding. No way to simply clear that hole of rocks.

Yep, that's exactly the problem! Nor can I just pound them into the soil, as there is no soil!

So I'm taking out what I can, and will try to leave the ones that have a more rounded contour. But I'm still going to need an awful lot of padding! That's why I'm planning on using those concrete pavers on the bottom below the liner. At least that way there will be a smooth surface under the part where the water pressure is greatest.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
TNT is the solution!
Don't think I haven't thought of it!

In fact, my husband asked me last night, "Would it make sense to bring in one of your old colleagues, maybe a police or army sapper to just put in some explosives?" I had to explain to him how much bureaucracy one has to go through to use even small charges in a residential area, not to mention that the army doesn't take kindly to having a few grams of explosives just going missing...

And so it falls to the humble pickaxe to clear the way toward pond heaven.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Ex army? oohhh

Ya,the missing part could be a problem ahahahah
Yep! You wouldn't believe how much trouble one can get in for not returning equipment and ammo!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think were it mine, I'd definitely go for a sand base...
Yep, that's exactly the problem! Nor can I just pound them into the soil, as there is no soil!

So I'm taking out what I can, and will try to leave the ones that have a more rounded contour. But I'm still going to need an awful lot of padding! That's why I'm planning on using those concrete pavers on the bottom below the liner. At least that way there will be a smooth surface under the part where the water pressure is greatest.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think were it mine, I'd definitely go for a sand base...
Yeah, I may go that route. It won't help much with the sides though. And of course, it means carrying bucket after bucket of sand down from the neighbor's front yard... <sigh!>

Ask a Question