Lily generosity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, it's been almost the whole summer, but the two lilies CE sent me in the spring finally put out some blooms. Actually, the red has been doing so for a month but the peach one procrastinated until just this week. So, in honor of her generosity (she sent me plants for the mere price of postage!) I'm posting some pics of the lilies as well as a few of the new turtles hatchlings, and a stray fish or two.

Thanks, Patti, for all lilies! They're doing great!

Michael

Attachments

• 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 3 (1).jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 3 (1).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 1 (1).jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 1 (1).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 311
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 9.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 9.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 272
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 8.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 8.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 7.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 7.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 248
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 5.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 4.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 272
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 3.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 2.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 1.jpg
    130812 - pond, little turtles, new water lilies 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 263

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What great pics! Thanks for sharing! The little turtle is so cute!!

Do you know what the lilies are? I'm looking for something on the small side (hardy) that blooms pink or salmon-pink.

Reaction score
The little one I have is doing fine Slakker. It's just a small red ear slider, his shell is maybe 3-4" inches long. A neighbor boy catches one for me every year, and then few weeks before cold weather starts we take it back down to the lake so he can find himself a place to winter. I'd like to keep one all year round, but ( not sure on this, you might talk to turtlemommy on here) I think they have to make a burrow? So they don't freeze. They wouldn't be able to get out of my pond I'm afraid, so we just get a new one every year :)
They are fun to watch! Especially when I feed the fish cheerios! He comes up to grab one every time, the Cheerio is as big as his head! Lolol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, far from being a turtle expert.... My "babies" are box turtles, which are non-aquatic turtles, so they have totally different needs from what something like a RES (red-eared slider) would need for over-wintering.

Here is some good information on over-wintering semi-aquatics (RES's fall into that category), and be sure to go back and read "page 1," also. It's about general things to know about keeping turtles in your pond.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/aquaticturtles/a/turtlesponds_2.htm

Personally, I like the idea of releasing them in the fall, but the only problem I see is that during that first season as a "pond turtle," the baby might "imprint" on humans, and this might interfere with it's natural tendency to fear us -- darn, can't think of a proper way to word it! IOW, they become conditioned to view us as "Hey, it's the Food-Lady!" when they should be avoiding us. My babies can never be released in the wild for that reason. The little buggers hear my voice and come out from their safe hiding spots, following me like puppy dogs, "FEED US, FEED US, MOMMY!" Too cute! :)

Reaction score
Yah I thought about that, so I decided to take care not to interact with it. It is very much still "scared" of humans :) but yah he sure is cute when he's trying to swim to the bottom with a Cheerio in his mouth Lolol. I imagine I'm going to have a difficult time catching him, I normally put the turtle in the small pond, so I can watch him out the window when he sunbathes. Never tried to catch one in the big pond :/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
pretty lilly! and love the little turtles... I want one :(

Ask a Question