USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fresia
welomebaby432.gif

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
I'll tell you why Sissy :razz: because my landscaper who is very talented in pretty landscaping did not know anything about the mechanics of a pond which I should have discovered before hand :grumble: He does beautiful landscaping but told me just today that most of his customers don't care much about the function of the pond they just like the looks of it and don't want to be messing with it so they let it go green. I think I have been his first customer to question him about the mechanics of it. I guess the reasonable price he offered grabbed me.
Addy my yard has a very slight slope down towards the pond and during this recent gully washer of a rain it overflowed the pond towards my husbands shop. The landscaper came today and built the rock up higher so it is not less than 6 inches from the ground around the ponds edge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess that is alright if you have the slope , but I don't have a slope and fresia's yard is flat and would just run back in and flood all sides in a heavy rain .I just can't understand why it was not done to start with .I know that is the first thing that i thought of .I have mine run threw the drain pipe and down the side of my ponds outside wall and there is a grated outlet there so if any fish ever did get through the grate they would end up in a bucket i put there .

Good thinking Sissy, I am lucky to have the slope, nice run off spot, unlucky was a pita to build, but lucky the slope makes a great stream! A mixed blessing as they say.
Your idea sounds like it works great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I guess he will be coming to you for advice now fresia and you will have to become an expert .Hey fresia you renting out your little log cabin next .Maybe your hubby will get inspired to build more after this and you will have the cutest little village around .Thumbs up to you and hubby .Thanks addy for the kudo's as I appreciate it coming from you .

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Thanks Cajunmeme! I would love to live in a log cabin. Sissy, if they had a book, "Pond for Dummies" I would be prchasing that one.
I am gonna be on the hubby to build some birdhouses for me to put into use some tools he had bought off of Ebay that he just had to have :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
LOL they do have a book ponds for dummies :LOL: Hey he will find it will break his sugar levels down .I find working in my little wood shop to be fun .I put on some music or turn on the tv to the diy network and have fun

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw it at ollies bargain outlet .I was going to buy it .They have them for everything i think .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sold Sissy! I'm sure Amazon.com has it. He has a tv in his shop. Sounds like a winner to me :)
A TV in the shop? Not me. I like my fingers the way they are, and still have all of them after a lifetime of woodworking.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
And hopefully not on while the tablesaw is running!? Sorry, but I've known too many guys who got distracted around machinery... and had the missing digits to show for it!
John

Ask a Question