Looking for carpeting pond grass

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello,

I have been busy researching different completely submersible grasses that are tolerant of zone 8-9 that will spread and carpet the bottom of a pond. The ponds bottom is a mixture of river rock and pea gravel and the depths vary from 2 inches to 8 feet. Anyone have any ideas of what a great grass would be that would carpet the bottom of a pond? I currently have elodea, dwarf sagitaria, jungle valisneria, cabomba Carolina, moneywort, Brazilian pennywort in the pond.
I attached a photo to show what I meant by carpeting.

thanks

Attachments

• img0787f.jpg
    img0787f.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 300

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello,

I have been busy researching different completely submersible grasses that are tolerant of zone 8-9 that will spread and carpet the bottom of a pond. The ponds bottom is a mixture of river rock and pea gravel and the depths vary from 2 inches to 8 feet. Anyone have any ideas of what a great grass would be that would carpet the bottom of a pond? I currently have elodea, dwarf sagitaria, jungle valisneria, cabomba Carolina, moneywort, Brazilian pennywort in the pond.

thanks

What type of fish do you have in your pond, if any?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
grass really never knew there was anything like that .interesting concept if there is :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hello,

thanks

With only organic matter (detritus) and no mineral component to the substrate, I think you'll have a hard time finding a plant that will thrive, other than algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Those are neon tetra right? Thats an aquarium with heavily contolled light and CO2 most likely? Not gonna happen in a back yard pond. im sorry.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had difficulty obtaining that in a perfectly controlled planted tank with added c02. In a pond situation I highly doubt it's obtainable.

Ask a Question