looking for food........the fox

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's pretty cool, from what I have heard they don't normally attack cats and dogs unless VERY hungry. I know they are great atkeeping rodents under control. i think I would enjoy having one around. Where we are moving there is suppose to be a beaver that will come visit the pond from time to time. I'll have to do some work to protect the trees near the water but other than that pretty harmless. We walked down to the river and saw the beaver damn and new chewed wood so we know it/them are at least close by. I'm really hoping we have some neat wildlife show up but HOPEFULLy none that will bother the fish. My biggest worries are the racoons, Herons, and the possibilities of a coyote.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The racoons don't touch my pond except to drink at the very shallow end that is the walk out, I see their prints there. Other than that they leave it alone, don't mess with the plants or anything.

Now the heron, different story lol, I saw one about 5 miles from here, it has not been back here since that one visit, but my fish are still hiding under the floating liner (around 10 x 5 counting the two pieces). The pond looks empty to a flying bird.

My concern with the fox, is missy being the great toothless yorkie hunter, would chase the fox, no concern for her safety if she saw it. She is one great hunter, we can be on a full run in the yard, she slams on the breaks sticks her nose in the air and sweeps back and forth until she finds the scent she picked up. Loves to try and get the mice, moles, voles what ever is around. Rabbits are her favorite.

Yep love having the fox around we have a ton of rodents.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never seen a small dog that was not fearless .Thats why the tell you a small yapper dog is the best criminal deterrent around .I have a sign on my door if the chihuahua doesn't get you his back up pit bull brother will .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He came back, really showed up nicely against the snow, he popped into the woods before I could grab my camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXL6LZlSKeo

In this video he does not seem to be limping like before. I know we have an abundance of squirrels in those woods, the other day we had 8 hanging around our bird feeders.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 squrrels here and I buy them bags of peanuts and love to watch them stuff them in there cheeks .They get at least 5or 6 stuffed in there cheeks at one time and can barely close there mouths .They look like big balloon cheeks .I even keep my stale bread and make them peanut butter sandwiches when I run out of peanuts .It keeps them away from the bird feeders a little .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feed them nuts, bread, left over dried fruit, peanut butter mix, they are spoiled. The bird feeders they can't do much to, they are squirrel proof ones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nothing is ever squirrel proof I have found out .Next year I am going to grow peanuts .I have been thinking about growing them and finally decided to give it a try .Tractor supply sells the starters to grow them and so does southern states and now that I have the hydrants it will be easier to water the gardens with the drip irrigation hoses .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol sissy, they are persistent, but so far the feeders are holding up to their attacks. They are able to nibble the food out of the suet holders, but not the seed feeders.

Ask a Question