Looking for planting recommendations and any tips for this new pond/fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's funny, a shortage of Creeping Jenny! I could gather up a ton of it around here as it grows like crazy!
Those 5 you bought will turn into a poo load of plants soon enough for sure o_O
poo load...thought we weren't giving out proprietary CAstle lingo, lil Queenie! Now, EVERYONE will understand us when they listen to our after tavern hours late Friday nights...this might mean, we go BACK to Morse code...sigh, all that dotting and dashing...the shape-changin' dogs are gonna have a field day with THIS! Can you say 'the Oncoming Storm!' ???

I don't actually SEE a lot of creeping jenny around here, mainly in MY garden and I got mine from a few handfuls from the one yard I ever saw have it while working there weeding, years ago. It's taken over my waterfalls and turned out nicely, actually. Have some in the bog and cut it half back last November. Looks neat when trailing down the stacked sandstone bog facia and I've seen the fish nibbling at it, so, yeah, tis a nice ponding plant, imo!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
poo load...thought we weren't giving out proprietary CAstle lingo, lil Queenie! Now, EVERYONE will understand us when they listen to our after tavern hours late Friday nights...this might mean, we go BACK to Morse code...sigh, all that dotting and dashing...the shape-changin' dogs are gonna have a field day with THIS! Can you say 'the Oncoming Storm!' ???

I don't actually SEE a lot of creeping jenny around here, mainly in MY garden and I got mine from a few handfuls from the one yard I ever saw have it while working there weeding, years ago. It's taken over my waterfalls and turned out nicely, actually. Have some in the bog and cut it half back last November. Looks neat when trailing down the stacked sandstone bog facia and I've seen the fish nibbling at it, so, yeah, tis a nice ponding plant, imo!
I don't let the stuff take over here. When it tries to creep out over my paver stones around the pond it gets pulled and it pulls easy thankfully!

No one here can understand much of what we say anyways Mr Kingy. Some think we need the little men in the white coats to make a visit. ...----888 = == ..... and can I make myself any more clearer than this? Oh put your glasses on, you know.....................now swallow your red pills it's almost time
1645144884301.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't let the stuff take over here. When it tries to creep out over my paver stones around the pond it gets pulled and it pulls easy thankfully!

No one here can understand much of what we say anyways Mr Kingy. Some think we need the little men in the white coats to make a visit. ...----888 = == ..... and can I make myself any more clearer than this? Oh put your glasses on, you know.....................now swallow your red pills it's almost time View attachment 147826
gotta love Matrix refs, ya know? Glad your little fiefdom there on the watery coast gets enough cable line to at least get you 20 year old movies! And to think you didn't know where 'resistance is futile' came from!

I put some of that creeping jenny in My beds and it'll grow, but think snails might be getting at it as about mid summer, there's a lot of eaten leaves and it doesn't sound like your version of the plant. Never obnoxious here, though the bog and falls are going gangbusters. It makes a real nice soft green mat and contrasts great with the other pond plants, so yeah, definitely a keeper in MY book!

So, if you DID have a choice, red pill or blue?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It might not be clear from the pic but most of the central section is pretty steep, the flatter section at the top is wider and there is a wider pool just before the last drop which you cant see.

Scale is hard to determine from a picture. Is that a natural hillside that you built on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scale is hard to determine from a picture. Is that a natural hillside that you built on?
Yes..its about 4m top to bottom. Which is why its narrow in the middle, none of the water would be pooling and didnt want it to look like a wide trickle.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Plants are your friend , they will soften the look of the stream. Like said above put some rocks out away from the stream, partially buried and plants.

I have creeping jenny everywhere, it grows along the stream, in the stream in the bog in the dirt. It has not taken over, I have the variegated color and the solid green. Love the yellow flowers it puts out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember to figure out how much sun or shade areas of the area gets . . You will need to know that as plants are fussy about those things . Like in my house in NJ I had lots of shade trees so planted and divided up hostas for years . . I brought hosta plants here from NJ and had to plant them on the shady side of my house . I have a lot creeping phlox and when it flowers in the spring it looks great liriopi works also . phox on my hill when it was flowering and second pic is phlox when it is not flowering

Attachments

• 100_7020.JPG
    100_7020.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 104_0491.JPG
    104_0491.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_9844.JPG
    100_9844.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 28

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
remember to figure out how much sun or shade areas of the area gets . . You will need to know that as plants are fussy about those things . Like in my house in NJ I had lots of shade trees so planted and divided up hostas for years . . I brought hosta plants here from NJ and had to plant them on the shady side of my house . I have a lot creeping phlox and when it flowers in the spring it looks great liriopi works also . phox on my hill when it was flowering and second pic is phlox when it is not flowering
Your Hosta's found a great spot to grow and they look so nice! I love all your plants, Banana's are one of my fave's and they sure can make the babies.
Mine froze down to the ground this year so will take them awhile to get big again.
You know they do attract monkeys so watch out
1645222221313.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I would try tucking some moss into the rocks around the wet edges! If it finds a place it's really happy, it might take off!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JUNIPERS area a great hill side evergreen i love the Japanese strain the maybe some price willam one is a light green the other a blue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
JUNIPERS area a great hill side evergreen i love the Japanese strain the maybe some price willam one is a light green the other a blue
I have a variety on my front hill - I think called Blue Pacific? It is fairly low growing and has done really well! It has done a great job holding the dirt on the slope and preventing erosion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would try tucking some moss into the rocks around the wet edges! If it finds a place it's really happy, it might take off!
Love moss on rocks
1645292947143.gif

Also you can make a buttermilk recipe and add to rocks to make the moss grow better:

Taken off the internet:

What you need​

• Blender – old!
  • Paintbrush
  • Buttermilk
  • Moss
    • Ideally a moss local to your area, growing in similar conditions to where you hope to paint your moss.
  • Surface to paint on – stone, bark, pot, wall.
    • Moss tend to like surfaces without too many ‘gaps’ – so the flatter and more compact the better.

The Method​

Time needed: 15 minutes.

1. Prepare the Moss
    Wash the moss thoroughly to remove any sticks, dirt or creatures that may be traveling along!
  2. Combine the Moss and buttermilk
    Use equal quantities of moss and buttermilk (recommended 2 cups / 500ml each). Shake before blending.
    Moss-buttermilk-blender-copy.jpg
  3. Blend
    Using an old blender, blend the moss until it has the texture of a milkshake. If it is too thin, add more moss.
    I found that with my blender the moss needs cut up more before blending.
  4. Coat with paintbrush
    I used a paintbrush to spread the mixture on to my surface (in this case a terracotta pot holder for my experiments!).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To go with your statement of same type of area to grow in sun / shade i also look at what its growing in / on is it some leaves relay decayed . is it a rotting log or is it just rocks in a very damn shaded area....

i'll give that cocktail a shot this spring on a couple spots

Ask a Question