Lost a fish

Reaction score
We were just sitting here this morning and my wife looked out and said "OMG, what was that?". I said "What?". She said a very large bird just flew very low over the pond.

We now think it was a Blue Heron taking flight right after grabbing our favorite fish.

How in the heck did a Heron find us in the middle of town, and more importantly, how
do I keep this bird from thinking this is a free sushi bar?

I really don't want to have to look at everything through a net, Any other suggestions?
(I'm not opposed to using "force", wink).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the real world of ponding. You finally made the grade w/ the big bird and he just flies over everyone's property anywhere.........doesn't matter where you live.........he will find it eventually. He has a birds eye view and all the little or big ponds stick out like a sore thumb to him and it's like we put out a big welcome sign.........COME ON DOWN FOR A FREE BREAKFAST, LUNCH OR DINNER! Now comes the hard part................keeping him away :confused: I have fish line, little wire fence, windchimes, twirly gadgets, I even tried putting a radio tuned to talk radio set to come on automatically from dawn to dusk.........for me that worked the best or maybe it was the combo of them all. Now I don't have the radio on cuz I don't see him anymore but if I do I will have that thing blaring. Fortunately we live far enough away from the neighbors so it doesn't bother them. Sometimes all that will work is a net but I'm not there yet. Some use those water scarecrows, fish line stretched across the top of pond etc. I'm sure others will chime in w/ their 2 cents worth also. Good luck on whatever you try :cool:

Reaction score
Fishing lines do wonders, and dont spoil the view. The idea is to make it difficult for the heron to land and/or approach and/or escape from your pond. Since I put some lines in his path a year ago, I havent had a Heron nearer to my pond than my neighbours tree tops (touches wood). He used to visit our pond almost daily. If the sight of the lines doesnt scare him, I heard if he trips or hits those wires while landing/departing, chances are he will never ever come back. And since they are territorial, you probably only have to scare one or two of them.

Then again, since you are a remote control guy, Im sure you could go for a more high tech solution with a movement detection / sprinkler and webcam solution :cool:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Welcome to the real world of ponding. You finally made the grade w/ the big bird and he just flies over everyone's property anywhere.........doesn't matter where you live.........he will find it eventually. He has a birds eye view and all the little or big ponds stick out like a sore thumb to him and it's like we put out a big welcome sign.........COME ON DOWN FOR A FREE BREAKFAST, LUNCH OR DINNER! Now comes the hard part................keeping him away :confused: I have fish line, little wire fence, windchimes, twirly gadgets, I even tried putting a radio tuned to talk radio set to come on automatically from dawn to dusk.........for me that worked the best or maybe it was the combo of them all. Now I don't have the radio on cuz I don't see him anymore but if I do I will have that thing blaring. Fortunately we live far enough away from the neighbors so it doesn't bother them. Sometimes all that will work is a net but I'm not there yet. Some use those water scarecrows, fish line stretched across the top of pond etc. I'm sure others will chime in w/ their 2 cents worth also. Good luck on whatever you try :cool:

JW hit about all the things to try, I'm with you on the cover but that is what I ended up having to do. Oh and I promise if he got a fish he will be back for more! (You may hear people say once koi get large enough they won't bother them, This is simply not true, they will go after them just like small fish, May not eat it but they will kill it and try. I will also tell you this, think it's going to be easy to GET RID OF permanently. LOL Think again, you may get one really good chance from then on he'll know when to come and when to stay clear. BB guns and pellet guns, Don't cut it!! Bottle rockets, don't cut it, What ever you do don't try the plastic decoy, he'll laugh at you come and peck at it maybe destroy it and go on fishing! If you don't want to cover the next best thing is the fishing line. But let me tell you, If you or a dog can get through the fishing line so can a Heron! They are smart, sly, sneaky, and most of all hungry. If they think they can get a easy meal, they will keep trying until they do. I lost 22 fish in a 2 week span, Oh and your favorite fish are almost always the first to go, seems like that is their favorite ones too!

Good Luck, Your going to need some!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
BB.gun worked for me!! after a couple shots in the ass last May...hasnt been back! the birds are like people what works for one may or may not work on another. and i see him in the area all the time fishing the creek 100 yards from my yard. and this was after he got 3 fish in one visit!...altho i will say my eyes are open. i cant say what will work for you but i cant say what wont either!...now down south youve got alot more of them to contend with, i would bet as well!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Agree 100% w/ fishin as they are sneaky snakes and I had put up fish line and my little wire fence and one morning I looked out and here he was sneaking under the holes in the fence and heading for my fish. I ran and grabbed the camera cuz I knew it would take him a little while just to find the right fishing spot. I had to go out there and add extra wire in between the fence holes so he couldn't just bend down and slip under it. Dog gone bird........but quite pretty to watch..........poor thing just thought I'd put out some special Sushi for him and then I ran him off before he even got his beak wet :cool:

IMG_1267.jpg

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Glad to hear you ran him off. Outstanding picture of the feathered beast.

I have a theory as to why I haven't had the same problem here in the city. Our back yard has a power line, two phone lines, and a cable TV line strung right over the immediate pond area. Over the last three years I have seen blue heron circling overhead as if they were scoping out the area, and my little puddle with fish in it.

From all that I have read hear over the last few years, the web of fish line over the pond water seems to be the best way to avoid a potential heron attack.

Happy ponding,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahh, that could be it Rich...........they don't want to end up being fricasseed and on your dinner plate :lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I imagine it's the same way we do..................with the little taste buds on his tongue :lol::lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
MOPonder said:
To Fishin',

Thanks for the honest words of encouragement and support.
I think we'll just sell the house. :lol:

Aww now, No need to sell the house, Just buy a better shot gun, Whoops, I didn't say that did I? LOL I hate to be honest like that but read my post (disappearing fish) and you will see, I have had more than my share of overhead flights that ended, not good! As for Powerlines, cable lines and phone lines, I'm surrounded on all sides by them, That didn't help keep the big blue/Grey feathered goblin out of my pond. I will say this on them, My lab thinks they are very yummy!!!!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see one flying over now and then, but I still have yet to see a fish, so I doubt the bird can see them either. May change as they grow. There are some big ponds around here full of fish. Hope they keep him distracted lol

Reaction score
Here's an update.

After my wife saw the Heron again, finally I did tonight. We had found a net the owner
had left behind so we covered the pond. When I stepped out the back door, the was the beast walking around the edge trying to find a way in. He took off, circled around, then landed on the roof of the house behnd. After a bit, he landed in the neighbors yard, they have a small pond also. I spooked him from that spot, he circled a couple more times then left. I'm sure we haven't seen the last, but I do hope he gives up.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad you found the net. He's not done, I can tell you he will keep trying, If possible warn your neighbor. They are really nasty critters to bright shiny swimming objects. I was amazed at how smart and how resilient they are. The second one we had had one eye, I figured it thought it had found easy picking, he found out he was!

Oh and BTW, Owls are almost just as bad, I have one of those now that is pretty crafty, But the wire cover is holding him at bay so far.

Ask a Question