Lost koi over this winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm so sorry @Norfolkpond . We lost all but one of our big koi one winter when our plumbing failed and we had to shut our pump down. We run our pond all year long so we don't have to be concerned about the pond freezing over, but when the pump had to be shut down the fish did all suffocate. It was a terrible feeling. I won't put koi in my pond again for that reason - it's too hard to lose those big, beautiful fish. We had several dozen goldfish that survived the same event with no problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm so sorry @Norfolkpond . We lost all but one of our big koi one winter when our plumbing failed and we had to shut our pump down. We run our pond all year long so we don't have to be concerned about the pond freezing over, but when the pump had to be shut down the fish did all suffocate. It was a terrible feeling. I won't put koi in my pond again for that reason - it's too hard to lose those big, beautiful fish. We had several dozen goldfish that survived the same event with no problem.
Thank you!
My heart is broken. I don't know if I can go through this pain again next year or in the future.
My husband thought that restarting the Koi/pond will make me feel better but I just don't have the confidence yet.
Attached is the picture of my pond in the summer of 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_6653.jpg
    IMG_6653.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately We are talking wild animals and they live and die at the hands of nature. obviously your system was working well for a few seasons. or they would not have got to that size. there is no dinner bell in nature nor is there a dr's office sounds to me you did your best and obviously care to try to do your best for them. This was a heavy snow load and cold for many parts of the country I know my ice was over a foot thick. I lost so many frogs and some baby koi as the areas they were in were only a foot deep and they can't stand waters down to 34 degrees they can't get frozen in ice and survive. so if your pond is also shallow that could have been a factor as well not sure where you are located

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry for the loss of your koi. Maybe when you start over, stick with shubunkins? They are very beautiful, similar coloration as koi and quite hardy.

I have 4 koi that are around 17 years old. Each winter I fret and make plans for how best to over winter them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only shubunkins, easy to care for, non fussy fish. I do keep a pond breather running in the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do shubunkins get as big as goldfish ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awww... don't give up! We've all suffered losses and whether they were our "fault" or not isn't really the issue. Things happen. Stick with us and we'll help you re-gain your confidence!

I really would encourage you to stick with goldfish - comets, fantails, shubunkins... they're all pretty and easy to care for and will be perfect in your pond!

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss...
As others have said, we too have made mistakes in our first several years with the pond we have.
First time we got too anxious to get the pond clear and overdid it with chemicals that we just weren't learned enough about. That time we learned not to depend on chemicals. We lost all of the koi but 3 large goldfish survived.
A heron took one of those goldfish later and speared another before it could take it.
The second time we cleaned the pond TOO much - caused a crash to occur and lost all but two of our 10 large 18" - 20" koi that we had brought up after mistake #1.
This last winter (I hope we are in spring now), here in Houston, it got so cold that the pond froze over... i thought i was OK as i had aeration going... I was wrong. We lost power...
The entire pond froze over and by the time i found out - it had been frozen for probably 10 to 12 hours.
I made another mistake and in my anxiousness tried to bang the very thick ice open as i couldnt get close enough to the pond due to my fence gate not opening. Lost one of our large goldfish it turns out... not sure entirely if that was due to the cold or my banging on the ice or something else.
The rest are now wandering around, pond is getting warmer, I see them getting more active and I am grateful for the lessons learned, but I dont forget the fish i have lost or the way i made the mistakes, but we do have to learn from them.
Start up your pond, get it cycled again, introduce some small koi - you wont regret it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awww... don't give up! We've all suffered losses and whether they were our "fault" or not isn't really the issue. Things happen. Stick with us and we'll help you re-gain your confidence!

I really would encourage you to stick with goldfish - comets, fantails, shubunkins... they're all pretty and easy to care for and will be perfect in your pond!
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into the goldfish option! Your fish pond is so beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss...
As others have said, we too have made mistakes in our first several years with the pond we have.
First time we got too anxious to get the pond clear and overdid it with chemicals that we just weren't learned enough about. That time we learned not to depend on chemicals. We lost all of the koi but 3 large goldfish survived.
A heron took one of those goldfish later and speared another before it could take it.
The second time we cleaned the pond TOO much - caused a crash to occur and lost all but two of our 10 large 18" - 20" koi that we had brought up after mistake #1.
This last winter (I hope we are in spring now), here in Houston, it got so cold that the pond froze over... i thought i was OK as i had aeration going... I was wrong. We lost power...
The entire pond froze over and by the time i found out - it had been frozen for probably 10 to 12 hours.
I made another mistake and in my anxiousness tried to bang the very thick ice open as i couldnt get close enough to the pond due to my fence gate not opening. Lost one of our large goldfish it turns out... not sure entirely if that was due to the cold or my banging on the ice or something else.
The rest are now wandering around, pond is getting warmer, I see them getting more active and I am grateful for the lessons learned, but I dont forget the fish i have lost or the way i made the mistakes, but we do have to learn from them.
Start up your pond, get it cycled again, introduce some small koi - you wont regret it.
I cannot thank you enough for sharing your stories and experiences! The first thing to do next is to clean up our pond. We just got a pump from Homedepot and plan to drain the pond this weekend. I also talked to our local Koi expert and he said we might be able to move the koi inside during the winter. We'll find out how to do that.

Ask a Question