LOVE my new 7,500 gallon Koi pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would go for some cheap goldfish to get the water bacteria started. I don't think the water will cycle without fish??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
someone suggested drinking beer and leaving the product in the pond, gets the filters going.

Reaction score
Just a warning... we put cheap comets into our pond to cycle it, and not only did they NOT die, the grew up, and multiplied LOL...

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I would go for some cheap goldfish to get the water bacteria started. I don't think the water will cycle without fish??
I put a few gold fish in last night.

did you buy your water fall tank or make it

I made it out of 2 stair step stringers and decking.
Then screwed liner to the underside of it after I put stone and rocks on it.

Troy2012081100096-vi.jpg

Reaction score
ok... NOW I am having an issue here! WHAT were you thinking??? You put fish in last night AND DIDNT GIVE US PICS OF THE KIDS??? ;-)

BTW, love the "foundation" for the falls... great idea!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
stair stringers huh .I have a set of pressure treated ones in the basement and going to rebuild my water fall this fall great idea I may steal it .I have been trying to figure it out for weeks now how did you do the filter set up as i may need that too .Come on gives us pics of how it is up there can't quite tell

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing I see is it looks wide and you may have wanted to put some support in the middle and guessing you can do that from the back any ways .Good storage area around the back also for pond supplies .I store some of my bigger stuff by mine in garbage cans .What is your tank also home built or bought would love a closer look at it also .Don't hold out now :razz:

Reaction score
well that project turned out looking really good..
how do you intend to "hide" the back of the falls and waterfall weir?

i labored for months over how to do mine.. and dang its no where near as high as yours
now you just need a boatload of plants. in and out..

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
well that project turned out looking really good..
how do you intend to "hide" the back of the falls and waterfall weir?

There is a lot of dirt on each back side of the L I can bring over towards the waterfall, it just takes time to move the dirt and it's messy.
Ultimately I'd like to bring over as much of the dirt (what we dug out) and build out the waterfalls from the back corner to each side... all in time; I am happy with how much I got done since the 4th of July.

IMG2012072300107-vi.jpg

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
stair stringers huh .I have a set of pressure treated ones in the basement and going to rebuild my water fall this fall great idea I may steal it .I have been trying to figure it out for weeks now how did you do the filter set up as i may need that too .Come on gives us pics of how it is up there can't quite tell
stair stringers, you can pick 3, 4 or 5+ step I imagine, then I turned it upside down so it would have walls to keep the water in. :)

IMG_1609-vi.jpg

ScreenShot20120814at11_36_39AM-vi.png

ScreenShot20120814at11_42_43AM-vi.png

IMG_1287-vi.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I cut my own stair stringers for my front porch and one has 5 steps and other one has 10 steps and then built the ones for the guest house and side porch .but never thought of them for a water fall i used concrete block star stepped

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was looking at the steps right side up in your one pic and if you were to put a brace inside the stringer where the step goes it would lower the step just enough but not enough for water to go over the sides and would hide the high sides you get when you turn it over .You could use those new stair brackets they sell now that look like a long L bracket and you screw the stair tread down to it .If you build the sides out you could make the side stringers wide enough to hold a piece of stone that would hide the liner .

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Don't forget the dechlorinater for those 7,500 gal and the goldfish. Unless it gets piped in from Lake Michigan, but water looks too clear and clean for that source lol!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very clever! thanks for sharing your secret

Ask a Question