LOVE my new 7,500 gallon Koi pond

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Thanks Shane. Ive been trying to figure out how to put the lilies in my pond and yours seems to be most likely setup for me. Im going to pursue persistence now and bear wtih me pleease. Which basket? plastic, wicker, or net?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Thanks Shane. Ive been trying to figure out how to put the lilies in my pond and yours seems to be most likely setup for me. Im going to pursue persistence now and bear wtih me pleease. Which basket? plastic, wicker, or net?
I believe they are plastic Pond baskets from Menards... they eventually Sunk and I have them on my Top Step so a few feet down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made pvc squares, hung a few lilies from them in oil pans, using some electric wire. I did that for the deep end of the pond. The lilies so far are doing great. I tied them off to the edge with a piece of fishing line to keep them in place.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well got my elbows to make it addy and picked up the wrong ones some how and now have a pvc triangle ,but thats alright I will float it in the one corner of the pond :razz: I used a basket made of screening I had and used really heavy fishing line to tie it to the pvc .Oh well next time i will look at them better before I buy them .Raining heavy here so will have to try it tomorrow

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Darn good idea, THANKS. I may never be done with this thing...
EVER

That's the fun part about ponds, always adding or changing something. It's not work to us, if it was we woudn't have them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nothings a mistake just an unfortunate find we come upon .Mistakes are what the non ponders make :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat Sissy, I made 4 more lily floaters, but think I will wait until next year to use them. Rather than try and change the lilies this late in the season.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what I am doing and making one or two for the lotus ,I have to stop giving them away to people or i will be growing more .I looked on the bag and it does not say what these elbows are .it was a contractors bag and paid just over 6 dollars for a bunch of them .Have to go out and get batteries but it has been misting out and hate driving these roads in that stuff .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great pond design, Shane! Where is your shelf located? I think I maybe saw it just past your lettuce picture. Good idea, if for nothing else than to get in and out of that deep pond!
Here's another idea for lilies, if a person doesn't have a shelf. I love the floating idea, too, but if you prefer them on the bottom (most lilies I think like to be about 12-24" deep) put something on the bottom to set the lily pot on. Someone else mentioned using one of those stacking shelves that have holes on the sides, are cheap, when turned upside down look like an open garage? I got a set of 3 at Menard for $11. Turn them upside down, get any air bubbles out first, and set your pot on them. You could use anything that is not concrete - buckets, etc. My pond is not 6' deep, though. LOL
Also, I don't care for the plant baskets any longer. I thought they would be great, but what happens is the roots get out of the basket, and then attach to anything and everything around it. That's fine if you never need to take them out, but trust me, you WILL need to remove them probably every spring to separate them so they are not overly crowded. I just tried to move a pot to give the lily more room, and since the basket allowed the roots to escape, and they are attached to the next basket and also the water line going to the bog. Will have to remedy that come springtime. This spring was my second year, and ALL my lilies had multiple tubers. Split them for yourself, give them away, sell them, find new homes for them, and what you keep will be much happier! This time of year, there should be lots of ponders willing to give you lilies. I know I have probably 4 pots of them I would give away if someone wanted to come and get them. LOL But, I'm about 4 hours south of you. Good luck! Looking forward to more pics as I watch this thread.

Ask a Question