Lumber in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I'm constructing a Guzheng, and need to soak the soundboard for a month or more. I was wondering if it would hurt anything to just soak it in the pond. It's all I have that's large enough for the board.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had to look that one up! So it's wood for a musical instrument and you need to soak it in water. Then I had to look up Wutong wood to see if it was poison. Says they used to smoke it like tobacco. So if it's not poisonous I would think you could put it in the pond. That is the question tho, and I don't know if it would hurt the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know the answer to your question, but maybe if you look up the genus of the tree, then you could possibly look at the plants within that family, and then check if any are poisonous. Plants in the same family will oftentimes have similar traits, so if one is poisonous then there could be a chance that one is also. Sometimes there is more information available about one plant in a family then the other. Let us know how it works out, also curious do you make other instruments?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does depend on the type of wood there is lists out there of trees and plants that are poisonous to fish . start there but my gut says your fine Spanish cedar I may question but that's all I can think of

Ask a Question