Lumber in the pond

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Bluerooster, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Bluerooster

Bluerooster

I'm constructing a Guzheng, and need to soak the soundboard for a month or more. I was wondering if it would hurt anything to just soak it in the pond. It's all I have that's large enough for the board.

Bluerooster, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Bluerooster

Lisak1

You're doing what now?

What kind of wood?

Lisak1, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Bluerooster

j.w I Love my Goldies

Had to look that one up! So it's wood for a musical instrument and you need to soak it in water. Then I had to look up Wutong wood to see if it was poison. Says they used to smoke it like tobacco. So if it's not poisonous I would think you could put it in the pond. That is the question tho, and I don't know if it would hurt the fish.

j.w, Sep 20, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. Bluerooster

Tara

I don't know the answer to your question, but maybe if you look up the genus of the tree, then you could possibly look at the plants within that family, and then check if any are poisonous. Plants in the same family will oftentimes have similar traits, so if one is poisonous then there could be a chance that one is also. Sometimes there is more information available about one plant in a family then the other. Let us know how it works out, also curious do you make other instruments?

Tara, Sep 20, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  5. Bluerooster

GBBUDD

It does depend on the type of wood there is lists out there of trees and plants that are poisonous to fish . start there but my gut says your fine Spanish cedar I may question but that's all I can think of

GBBUDD, Sep 20, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question