Major Ammonia Issue

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hmmm.. Honestly don't know...

Although, think it was a good move to remove the fish. With as much ammonia that is in there, then I bet that will be enough to get some good bacteria growth going and keep the water circulated through your filter and small air stone would help. Once you notice the ammonia drop to around 0.10 ppm, then add a fish and then see how it goes.

Reaction score
I ended up dumping the whole tank, the water was so cloudy I couldn't even see through it. I did one last test before dumping to see if the ammonia was coming down, it wasn't so, I'll just start over when we are back from vacation.

Really weird.

Thanks for your help again. I really appreciate the time you put into your post!

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question around ammonia issues in my small tank. I'm using a 10 gall tank with the standard type filter to quarantine two small koi (4 inches), 48 hours into this, I'm having a small ammonia reading. I did a water change and added some lava rock from my pond to filter and the bottom of the tank. When I was walking by the pond I noticed some string algae stuck on a pot in the pond, so I grabbed a clump and also threw it in the tank, thinking it might help with the ammonia.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Pointless idea? The fish are eating it ..... might be a bad idea if now they have a none stop buffet .... ? Maybe I should stick it in the filter where they can't get it?

Reaction score
Oh Charles, I solved the major ammonia issue that started this thread, when emptied the tank after those crazy readings, I found LOTS of roots from some water lettuces that had fallen off into the gravel, so I guess they were rotting in the pea gravel causing an issue.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh Charles, I solved the major ammonia issue that started this thread, when emptied the tank after those crazy readings, I found LOTS of roots from some water lettuces that had fallen off into the gravel, so I guess they were rotting in the pea gravel causing an issue.

I thought something else was going on. This absolutely definitely makes sense to be the cause of the ammonia. I have often seen the same thing happen due to decaying duckweed and other plants that assimilates a high nutritional value for wildlife.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi All,

Quick question around ammonia issues in my small tank. I'm using a 10 gall tank with the standard type filter to quarantine two small koi (4 inches), 48 hours into this, I'm having a small ammonia reading. I did a water change and added some lava rock from my pond to filter and the bottom of the tank. When I was walking by the pond I noticed some string algae stuck on a pot in the pond, so I grabbed a clump and also threw it in the tank, thinking it might help with the ammonia.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Pointless idea? The fish are eating it ..... might be a bad idea if now they have a none stop buffet .... ? Maybe I should stick it in the filter where they can't get it?

Just as long as it doesn't overtake the tank... Oh, since these type of algae propagate through some type of seeding, placing it in the filter would only matter in the short term.

I think overall good idea. :)

Ask a Question