DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Dito That
you should do well with a larger pond to work with

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
You just open them up and make them smaller! Resize or compress them.

Right click on a photo and choose "Open With" then choose "Microsoft Office Picture Manager". When that opens your photo go to your tabs on top and choose the one called "picture". Pick "Compress Pictures." On the right of the screen you'll see a little menu pop up, and you pick Web Pages and hit OK right below it. You then go back to FILE and hit SAVE, and poof! Your photo is now compressed and is able to upload.

I usually just email them to myself. The email app scales them down for web use. It's a quick cheat. :)

Reaction score
It depends on which email program you use. I use gmail, as an example, and it doesn't do that. It tries to swallow the whole picture size if it can.

Reaction score
My wife and I laid a 50x80 45 mill firestone liner by ourselves. It weighed 2000 lbs. But the way it is fan folded and rolled it wasn't hard just don't do it when it's hot out the liner gets very hot. Our kids helped cut the edge. The sides are 5.5 feet straight up but as we filled it we just kept going around pulling the sides tight

Look under photos my new catfish pond

Reaction score
wow, riverbottom, are you building a pond or a lake? LOL!

Yes, you let the liner sit in the sun for a bit and it softens up and becomes easy to work with. And, yep, working in the sun on a hot liner is insane. I was sweating bullets while standing on the liner and burning my feet!

Reaction score
Riverbottom said:
My wife and I laid a 50x80 45 mill firestone liner by ourselves. It weighed 2000 lbs. But the way it is fan folded and rolled it wasn't hard just don't do it when it's hot out the liner gets very hot. Our kids helped cut the edge. The sides are 5.5 feet straight up but as we filled it we just kept going around pulling the sides tight

Look under photos my new catfish pond

Holly Cow!! I feel like a wimp now,.......that is some pond,....and I must admit the liner looks fine in those pics. WOW If I send you a plane ticket will you come to Missouri and help?? Beautiful pics,...I'm inspired!

Reaction score
Lots to consider,....another question,...For a large pond, would it be more economical to have a large external pump? I have always had my pumps at the bottom of the pond,.and was under the impression it was better to push the water out of the pond than pull it out,...any suggestions?

Reaction score
As long as the pump is below the waterline you are pushing the water.
I have a 4500 gph external pump hooked up to a bottom drain and skimmer the pump is small for the size of the pond but it's working great now. Pump goes to a 350 gal tank with 100 feet of 3 inch perforated drain line with a silt sock over it then going into a 50 gal fines filter with outdoor batting in it.

Reaction score
Riverbottom said:
As long as the pump is below the waterline you are pushing the water.
I have a 4500 gph external pump hooked up to a bottom drain and skimmer the pump is small for the size of the pond but it's working great now. Pump goes to a 350 gal tank with 100 feet of 3 inch perforated drain line with a silt sock over it then going into a 50 gal fines filter with outdoor batting in it.

Thanks,...do you have any idea what the electrical costs are for your pump compared to an internal pump,..or does really just depend on the pump? I'm asking because I have a friend who swears her new pond (1500gal) is costing her $200/mo in electricity,..mine have never cost that much!

Reaction score
Thanks Riverbottom,...that's about what mine usually run, even with lights.

I'm looking at some bottom drains,...where do you put your pump with one of those?
I was actually thinking about building a depressed square in the bottom of the concrete, plumping the PVC through that back to the skippy type filter and I could place the pump in the depressed area and cover it with a piece of plastic egg crate stuff (like the fluorescent light diffusers) to keep all the big stuff out. Kind of a large grate at the bottom of the pond. That way I can always get to it if I need to. If I go with an actual bottom drain, I'm not understanding where I would place a submersible pump?

Thanks so much for the advice all. The contractor comes wednesday,...if he can pour the concrete for the price he's guessing (a friend of a friend) then concrete it will be.

Reaction score
JustMe, if you're going to have a really large pond, you need an external pump. It will be way more cost effective in the long run in terms of wattage and you get more power.

If you're going with a BD, then you would have the BD pull into your big filter and then your pump behind the filter.

Reaction score
I'm confused,...is the bottom drain a pump?,...or is it just an opening through the concrete to the PVC pipe, which needs to connect to a pump to move the water out of my pond (up hill) and to the filter?
Actually,..the more I think about it,..an external pumps sounds much easier if it will work ok and not cost me $200/mo to run.

Ask a Question