Making a bird bath in a bog..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The birds keep messing my bog for a bath and a drink. The main ponds is netted. I tried to look for a bird bath that allows water to constantly flow... any ideas? I don't want a standing water bird bath, I got enough mosquito issues in the summer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I make banana leaves out of cement and with those you can leave a small spot on each side for the water flow .I use where the stem part is as the inlet and bury the whole leaf tiny bit
100_7293.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I make banana leaves out of cement and with those you can leave a small spot on each side for the water flow .I use where the stem part is as the inlet and bury the whole leaf tiny bit View attachment 98591
WOW! Love that idea! I was wanting to make a "birdbath" in my bog as well, and this looks like a nice solution!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One of the reasons why I chose a bog is because I knew the birds would enjoy it. Just watched a Robin splash around in it. :)
True! We get lots of birds in the yard, but I can't say I've ever seen any that tried to get water from the pond's edge or from the turtle-bog. Hopefully, we'll get that REAL bog dug this spring and I can make this one more attractive to the birds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sand on the floor of my basement and then leaf on top of that and then cement with the additive that makes it stronger .I use mortar .I have made 14 of them so far ,my 1 sister line them up down a small hillside in her front yard with glass rocks in them and a clay glazed pot that looks like it is spilling the glass out of it .
100_7323.JPG
100_8900.JPG
100_8904.JPG
100_8905.JPG
100_8902.JPG
mix

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We did this in our bog. Can you see the black bowl kind of left of center? t's a two piece bird bath - the bowl is separate from the stand. We drilled a hole in the bowl and ran a tube up the center of the stand and into the bowl. We added a "T" to another line that we have that runs through the bog and attached the tube to that, so water is pushed up from the bog, fills the bowl and spills over the sides. We filled the bowl almost to the top with rocks so the birds have a place to perch and splash away. They love it! Because the water flows constantly it stays clean. It also, oddly, attracts small snails and the birds don't mind the snack while they splash either!

We actually installed it with the intent of growing plants in it, but when we realized how much the birds love it we just let it be.

IMG_4747.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
sand on the floor of my basement and then leaf on top of that and then cement with the additive that makes it stronger .I use mortar .I have made 14 of them so far ,my 1 sister line them up down a small hillside in her front yard with glass rocks in them and a clay glazed pot that looks like it is spilling the glass out of it .View attachment 98611 View attachment 98612 View attachment 98613 View attachment 98614 View attachment 98615 mix
Good work sisy that looks like a decoration piece , u shud do a diy video , i think this leaf is of a bulb root plant , donot look like banana but can b done with any leaf , how do u get curve inside for water to stay? or is it flat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The birds keep messing my bog for a bath and a drink. The main ponds is netted. I tried to look for a bird bath that allows water to constantly flow... any ideas? I don't want a standing water bird bath, I got enough mosquito issues in the summer.
Usually a bog is made with dry stone on top to keep algae from growing, then your plants are put in the wet stones underneath.

I had to take out my waterfall because of a leak, it had 3 tiers lots of rock and gravel and the birds were always in it, I really missed them bathing in the water. The new waterfall is going to have some pooling areas specifically intended for bird bathing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My bog water level stays a couple of inches over the gravel and no algae grows. We get some string algae in the spring, but I just consider that early filtration! It's gone once the plants start growing.

Ask a Question