MATALA Mats and Rolls

Reaction score
Raw cotton will bio-degrade in water, so it's useless as filter medium.
John

Very true, cotton is organic so it is readily bio-degradable. The materials we use at my work are synthetic fibers, a plastic, petroleum based product. These don't bio-degrade easily, but they don't work well for mechanical filtration purposes because they are such a fine fiber and closed porosity. Unless you replace it constantly, it clogs up and shuts off the flow of water through it.

It would work fair as a pad or thin layer (as in a charcoal filter for a 10 gallon aquarium).

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh glad that doesn't happen to my clothes when I'm out in the rain .gosh scary thought huh

Reaction score
My Matala filter media rolls arrived today. Two blue and one green. Looking at them, I think they are going to be great for my DIY filter system. They are going to be a lot better than rocks.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so which is the heavier one the blue or the green I don't know much about them .i have only ever seen them on e-bay .I never paid much attention to them since they were out of my price range .We have a pet store going out of business so they are going to give customers the chance to buy stuff first and notice they mentioned them on there list .

Reaction score
so which is the heavier one the blue or the green I don't know much about them .i have only ever seen them on e-bay .I never paid much attention to them since they were out of my price range .We have a pet store going out of business so they are going to give customers the chance to buy stuff first and notice they mentioned them on there list .

Sissy,

I cannot tell any difference in actual weight, but the blue is the tighter weave, so that is obviously the more dense. Gray is the tightest weave, then blue, then green and the most open is the black. I believe that the green and the blue are going to be the most functional. I think that the gray will be too tight and the black too open. I am just guessing here, though. I haven't put it into operation and played with it yet.

Gordy

Ask a Question