MATALA Mats and Rolls

Reaction score
I have a question of curiosity for which I have been unable to find an answer to on the MATALA home site or their outlet distributors/retailers.

MATALA media mats are offered in 1/2 sheets (24" x 39" x 1"/1.5") and full sheets (48" x 39" x 1"/1.5").

MATALA media rolls are offered in various diameters and I assume that the thickness of the wraps are 1"/1.5", but I cannot find information stating what the depth of the roll is. The pictures show only the aspect or view of the coils from the end of the roll, but not a side angle view to show how thick the overall "block" of the roll is, does anyone know how thick they actually are?

Gordy

Reaction score
After looking all over the web and on MATALA's own site, I finally found the answer to my question. The MATALA rolls are 6 inches thick.

I did not find this listed in in the specifications anywhere, I found it in a discussion on the MATALA home web site where they were describing the characteristics. (Typical diameters are 22, 24, 27, 30, 37, 42 and 48 inches).

You'd think they would specify the thickness up front somewhere a little more obvious.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree they should, glad you found the size.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats really thick and wonder why they don't tell the thickness as you would think that would help them sell more .Usually all the filters I have seen have only been 2 inches thick

Reaction score
Yes, the rolls are thicker than I expected. Initially, I was hoping that they would be three or four inches thick, but I assume that six inches will be alright. I will simply adjust what I had in mind for my filter design modification.

Originally I was going to have my first 55 gallon HDPE barrel filter act as a debris and sediment trap prior to the Kaldness K3 bio-converter. I was going to use layers of varying rock sizes to perform some mechanical filtration and provide a "speed bump" to cut the water velocity so that some of the solids would drop out of the water before the water continued on to the bio-converter.

After pondering the use of the rocks for this purpose, I thought that it might prove to be less user friendly. Should I desire to remove the rock to relocate my system or clean it, it would be a labor intensive chore. Not hard work, but just messy and tedious. So, I started contemplating the MATALA media to replace the rock.

The 22" diameter MATALA rolls would fit perfectly inside my 55 gallon barrels. They will be snug enough so that water won't pass around the outside of the the barrel between the media and the barrel wall and not so tight that I have to fight with them to get them into place.

Now I can use the varying densities of the MATALA media to simulate the varying sizes of rock and gain several advantages. 1] Lighter in weight. 2] Uniform. 3] One piece. 4] Higher water pass-through volume. 5] Greater efficiency and use of space. 6] Easier to clean. 7] Provides both mechanical filtering as well as bio-conversion (bacteria habitat). The rock would do both as well, but I believe the MATALA will be much better at it.
8] More versatile or accommodating to design alterations. It will be a lot easier to make changes if I find out I calculated water flow volume incorrectly.

The disadvantages I can cite are expense (about $58/roll), longevity (rocks are forever) and quick access. I can get the rock just a few miles down the road at a dirt cheap price.

I talked myself into the MATALA media rolls yesterday and ordered some. USA Koi seemed to have the best price all around for half sheets, full sheets and rolls, so I ordered from them.

I wish that the rolls were 4 inches thick instead of six. This is due to my barrel filter design. I wanted to take advantage of at least three if not all four of the MATALA media densities (black, green, blue and gray). But, because of the depth of the barrel (36") the six inch rolls would take up a lot of space. It's an upflow design and I need 6 inches bottom footer space and approximately 8-9 inches header space in the barrel. That leaves 21" space for the media. That means no more than three rolls (the fourth roll won't fit - but only just barely). At four inches, I could fit five rolls in the barrel perfectly.

I decided to go with just two rolls to start and experiment with that first (one green and one blue). I can then adjust for a third roll later if I find it necessary. If the rolls were four inches thick, I would use all four densities right off the bat and still have room for one more roll of whichever density I found necessary. I ordered a third roll (an extra blue density roll) just to have it already on hand for experimental purposes, but I will see what happens with just two rolls first.

Come spring or early summer, I will have it all assembled as a prototype and by the end of summer / late fall I will know how well it works. Many other design parameters to work on as well. This is just one small part of the whole project.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The rolls are 2" matala cut 6" wide and then rolled to those diameters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what is the difference in those mats compared to quilt batting since the pics of those mats look so similar and how easy are they to rinse out or clean and is it really worth the extra money they cost .Just wondering .

Reaction score
what is the difference in those mats compared to quilt batting since the pics of those mats look so similar and how easy are they to rinse out or clean and is it really worth the extra money they cost .Just wondering .

I really don't know first hand, but I expect that the Matala media is more open than quilt batting and won't compress or saturate with solids. They claim that it is easy to clean by simply "shaking" it out in the water gently. I guess I will find out over the next year if the added cost is worth it or not. I will report how well it performs after I have had it in service with a full bio-load over that time period. Hopefully it proves to be worthwhile. I am not afraid to experiment if I can provide useful answers for myself or for others. Pro or con.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know right now I pay almost 8 dollars for a king sized quilt batting and always fold it neat so I can rinse it .I poor water in a large tub I have with peroxide mixed in and soak it for awhile and then hose it off and put it back in .I never clean it really well just enough to get some of the fine stuff out of it and try to kill some of the fine algae also .

Reaction score
From work I am able to obtain some refuse material that is akin to cotton balls or the white fiber material that you see in small aquarium filters. It is all synthetic fiber, but it has a very tight porosity. I tried to use this for my bait tank filter system in the past, but it has such a tight weave that it clogs up quickly with such a system. It would work excellently for small aquarium filters.

I can obtain a truckload of this stuff if I want it. Seriously, I do mean a truckload... A DUMP TRUCK load! Seen a guy at work take home a full truckload of it the other day. His wife uses it to fill pillows and stuffed animals and toys for Christmas gifts and hobbies. I wish it worked better for water filtration, but it clogs up so easily and quickly and then it just mats down and the water doesn't flow through it, it just isn't worth it for large scale things like a pond. It is unfortunate as I would like to use it for something along this line since it is so readily available.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow amazing what some places give away .I have had pretty good luck with the quilt batting and the cheapest thing i could find here .Not much here to get things from to rural .Only one even close to pond store around here and thats 35 minutes from my house and they are not cheap .I wonder if you could do with that like cotton where they pull it a part and make mates out of it .They do that to raw cotton here .

Reaction score
It is a great deal like cotton. It comes compressed in huge bales and has to be mechanically separated and "opened" up like pulling cotton apart to prepare it for weaving into fabric.

We use it for medical purposes, so it must be kept clean. If it hits the floor, it is trash, just like food in a restaurant.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh what a waste and I know I can get what they call raw cotton here in long sheets but it is not clean and and had seeds and dirt in it .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Raw cotton will bio-degrade in water, so it's useless as filter medium.
John

Ask a Question