Mechanical Filtration - Skimmer vs Waterfall Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I write knowing the GPF is usually a pretty friendly bunch and I'm counting on you to stay so! I'm far more concerned than most people on the issue of water/ pond safety and ask for your understanding. I am not trying to preach or criticize.
Ponds can be a risk for kids (and liability for the owner), and in my opinion those that are visible from the road or casual visitors to the house may be more so, as they are easy to get to (and in). I'm not quite thinking of kids as little predators (but then again...)
Many years ago, friends of our family lost a little girl to drowning. A canal was not fenced from the yard they were visiting, and the little explorer slipped away unnoticed, and in less than 5 minutes, she drowned. I don't share this to open a debate over right/ wrong or local rules, but rather to ask and remind we ponders to keep safety in mind. I know there is open water everywhere and most pond owners have never had an accident, for which we are all thankful, but let's be think-ful, too. Whew. Sorry for sad topic on a Monday morning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with you @SarahT that we all need to be cautious and thoughtful when we add an "attractive hazard" to our yards. But I will also add that I have personally known two families who lost children to drowning - one was in a bucket of water, the other was in a bathtub. Both were terribly tragic and sad, but I wouldn't advocate to change how, when, or where we use buckets or bathtubs as a result.

I think there are two issues: 1. the recognition that young children need to be watched at all times and 2. the understanding that no matter how careful we are, life is full of hazards and sometimes unfortunate accidents happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drowning in a bucket that had to be unbearable you can't protect from everything. A tub unfortunately is a common hot spot and as a builder i do know a couple that have stopped installing tubs in there homes. think about it the amount of times a adult or adolescent BATHES is absolute minimal. With the new rain shower heads i have seen the kids love those almost as much as floating the rubber duck in the tube. THE BABIES HECK I PREFER THE WASH basin on the counter.
All around my pond is angled rocks there's no vertical walls so even if one can't swim they should be able to get a footing. There's obviously no guarantees But we do have a fence and or netting barriers to keep little ones out

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also have an inground pool and we have worked hard to keep the kids safe. Luckily my youngest is now 5 and is already a decent swimmer. I would not have thought about building a pond any earlier than this spring due to his age.

My front yard is a good distance from the road and being in a rural setting there are no kids that would be able to safetly walk on the road alone and into my front yard. Luckily the neighbors dont have any young kids anymore and the safety of anyone visiting with young children will be our first priority. The way the houses in my neighborhood are set up, the risk of having it in the back may be greater than the front of the houses, given that is where any visiting children play.

I do plan on not making it more than 3 ft at the deepest with shelves that can be used as step should someone accidentally fall in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thanks for having thought it through and taking the time to let me know. I'm glad it will work out safely for everyone, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that no predators coming a'calling. I'm sure your pond will be gorgeous. Post pictures as you go along with your project.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@ATP just wait till some frogs move in to the new pond the kids will never be dry if not in the pool they will be chasing frogs snakes and dragon flies. Every home should have a pond for kids to explore. There would never be anyone littering.

Ask a Question