Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was able to get the lotus seeds to sprout in my aquarium but they die after about two weeks, not sure what the problem is. But I am going to start them in the aquarium and then transplant to the pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has anyone tried growing in a 15 gallon container a lotus? Will they grow in still water or do they need some movement?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not sure the size of those pots with rope handles from walmart, that is what I have mine in. I have read they like some water movement, I just have an aerator in the water.

The smaller one is in a 5 gallon pot and doing ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I thought your lotus were in a huge pot, so are the smaller pots in the larger tank maybe? I bought extra large pots with no holes to hold the water for the lotus tubers I got. The pots hold maybe 15 gals of water. I was wondering if they were large enough, too, but assume at least this year they will be fine.
How much water do you have over the tubers, Addy? Because the plants grow up and above the water line, right?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, I thought your lotus were in a huge pot, so are the smaller pots in the larger tank maybe? I bought extra large pots with no holes to hold the water for the lotus tubers I got. The pots hold maybe 15 gals of water. I was wondering if they were large enough, too, but assume at least this year they will be fine.
How much water do you have over the tubers, Addy? Because the plants grow up and above the water line, right?

I have 5 lotus in the walmart tubs, the 5 walmart rope handled tubs are in a 300 gallon stock tank. I do have one lotus in the pond, a smaller variety, that is in a smaller pot. The water is about 10-12 inches over the tubers. I was going to pull the tubers, add some more kitty litter, raise them a little higher, but with our weird winter they started growing way too early so don't want to touch them and take a chance on killing the tuber. Three of them have sent up leaves, but the leaves are yellow, think it is just too cold still. Waiting to see if they green up. They do grow up and above the water line. Some of the leaves stay as floaters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, now I totally understand! Gives me ideas of how to protect my lotus for this winter, all in the same large tank, rather than individual pots, which would be impossible to keep from freezing. And, not certain the pots I bought would hold up to freezing temps anyhow, at least not with water in them, pushing on the sides. I guess a person would likely leave dirt in them in the winter, and moisture would be present, but usually a hole in the bottom to drain the water. We shall see!!!
So far 3 of them are still doing fine, had leaves when tubers arrived, and I asked about that, and the seller said "they are getting too big to ship" ... DUH!!! They are all still green, some yellow edges, but one of the tubers' leaves have all turned more brown. I'm hoping it will continue to grow roots, and send up new leaves this coming week, when the temps warm up that water! We'll see ...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is my lotus seed that I started again, hopefully this one will make it. I have two growing in a pot with kitty litter and water and the first leaf is just now opening. I think I am going to run an airline from my aerator to the pot to get some water movement.
P1040004.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure what happened with mine ,do birds maybe steal them the whole plants is gone from the 300 gallon stock tank 4 plants and then nothing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good job, Todd! I have some seeds, but going to wait to start them until next spring. Wow, that would suck, Sissy! I have no idea if birds would take your lotus plants. They are so hard to get going, that's really a shame they are all gone!
I ended up buying some, not sure if they will make it or not. Got 4, 2 seemed to have died, the lady replaced them, no questions! Now I see that one that was replaced has a tiny new leaf coming up. If these plants don't make it, I'll definitely be starting some seeds next year. Tried this year, but the seeds I had were all no good, they floated and even though I waited a while, none of them did anything, and when I opened them, they were rotten. Oh well! I tried!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the fresher the seed the better the chances .I see a lot of them selling lotus seeds on e-bay for 2.95 for 12 seeds from places like Hong Kong and stuff with free shipping .I had fresh seeds and they were growing great until they went bye bye .Next time going to cover the tank with window screening .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus are just starting to grow, the tubers from last year. I was beginning to think they had died.

Ask a Question