sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave all mine away and am now starting over .I guess I should think first before I just give things away .I lay the nut cracker on it's side on the countertop and put the seed in the smaller part .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I held mine with my fingers, put my hacksaw in my vice and just pulled the seed across the blade to get down to the meat of the seed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine look like they are starting to sprout .I called the couple I gave some plants too ,but they did not get any seed pods .So I guess I keep trying these dry ones

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I had some extra lotus seeds from my experiment over the summer that failed and I decided to throw some in the bottom of my aquarium. This was on sunday and they already sprouted, two are about 3" tall and the other has just started to sprout. Will be interesting to see how this works out, they are about 15" under water so they may be a bit deep but it is an experiment and I will tweak if I see them not able to get to the surface.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat Tmann, that is great, take some pictures as they grow.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is a pic, it is the skinny light green stem that is growing, you can see the seed at the bottom of the pic.

Attachments

• P1030656.JPG
    P1030656.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, great idea, Todd! I have several seeds that someone sent to me ... gosh, I forget who sent them now! Thanks, to whoever sent me my seeds. LOL and I am waiting to get them ready to sprout, as I don't want them to get too big before I'm able to put them outside in the warm water and heat of the sun. But, your idea of getting them started in an aquarium, I could do that! My 55 gal is probably the same depth you are talking about. Keep us posI may have to try that as well.

Reaction score
One of my pots with lotus seeds I planted from Michaels last year has 4 inch stems in them already. I hope the others start to grow too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is great Nova! glad it is growing for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'd love to see pics! I still need to start my seeds Joann sent to me! Have them out on the table, so at least I won't totally forget about them. Been a busy weekend, but that's on my "to-do" list for the next few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I finally got around to trying to get my seeds started. A couple of them cracked as I tried to "score" them, and the inside looked to be dried out. The seeds that I thought were ok are all floating. Does that mean they are also no good, or do they float for a while before they get soaked well, and then sink?

Reaction score
Some of mine floated and some sank. I just kept changing the water a couple times a day and if some got mushy I threw those out. All of what I planted last year are growing and the ones the fish have not messed with are opening leaves once they reach the top of the water. My koi break the tops off the stems. I had some on the bottom of the pond but moved them up on the shelf so they are not beaten at badly by the fish. They love of swim through the stalks.

Ask a Question