Michigan Pond Build Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Very nice :)
I want to mention that with that rock arrangement, you are going to have detritus buildup within the crevices. That detritus will be a constant source of phosphorus and nitrates over time which will fuel algae growth.
Make sure that you have strong water circulation and a method of nutrient export (lots of plants) so that you are not creating conditions for algae to take over your pond in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah I know about the issues with rock nooks and crannies....annoying but something I'll have to live with since I ended up with a lot of rock and I had to use it! :). The bog will pull out a decent amount of nutrients and the end size of the actual pond part was probably 50-75% of the planned size, so filtration should be sufficient. *cross fingers*. Now I just need to find some good big plants and a few fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looking good!
It appears your yard grades away from the house, but if you get a heavy rain and the pond/bog overflows, did you provide an escape for the excess so it doesn't back up under the deck onto the patio? (into the house?) Will the upper deck rain water spill into the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The upper structure isn't a deck, but a hybrid pergola, so there are significant gaps between the slats to drain. As for the overflow drain, nothing special, but that is a good idea....maybe I'll add a pipe off to the side in case of overflow.

Ask a Question