Missing koi

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Moby 1 did not come up for the daily feed today. Pond is 10'x10'x5'. Last week you could see almost to the bottom until I moved some plants around and the water got cloudy so now can only see down about a foot. Moby is a 30" white butterfly who is usually not shy. When I fed today, I accounted for everybody ( I think) except him. He is always at Big Mommas side but no sign today.
I have started a fines filter but part of me wants to go and dump 3-4' of water and see what's up. I know this would stress everybody out so any ideas? How long should I wait to do a water dump?
Also- netting is stretched across the top of the pond so no way he jumped or was eaten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic added to your pellets in liwuid form can bring even the n=most shy of koi to the surface (they love it like cats to catnip).
If that doesnt bring hen I'd start to worry .
We keep our pond netted at all times against prediters perhaps you need one

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I noted in my post that the pond is netted. Will try the garlic.
When I say netting what type do you have on your pond ours is 5mm hexagomal netting theres no way that a heron is going to get a beak through sorry font know how I mussed that
Sometimes somthing can spook fish so much they go into hiding anything like a neighbours cat to a heron or even a snake could have done this causing it to go deep however you say that the othrs are still feeding it could be because of his sizr that why they have picked him out

rgrds

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Presently have the bird-x netting 6" off the water. Openings are less than I". We have had a heron at the ponds as well as a red tailed hawk that actually ripped the net in 3 places on the other pond. We reinstalled a second net hung over pvc pipes 6' above the other pond. I'm hoping you are right about him just being spooked and not injured from an attack. Still no sigh of him this morning. Will rehang the second net over this pond as well.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, Moby is back up. He is very nervous and appears to have a small wound at the edge of his dorsal fin. I'm guessing red tailed hawk swooped down and got him. Will be putting up the overhead netting as soon as I down moving eggs from the mornings spawn.

Ask a Question