More critters for my tanks...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Any plants in there, Dr. Sir, Etc.? Water Sprite, riccia, hornwort.... they love plants!
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Haro, ya, we have a lot of plants in there, some rooted plants and a lot of duckweed.

So tonight we were at the LFS and bought more critters for the small tank:
- We did get the Thai Micro Crab, but I'm very disappointed in it. It's tiny, about 1cm including the legs. The red clawed crab is about 50 times bigger. Once in, it sorta lay around for a while and then disappeared! That was the quickest $3.99 I ever threw away is what I told my son!
- We got a tiger shrimp who basically disappeared as soon as we let him go!
- Got a long plant, can't remember it's name, will have to ask my son. It's only of this long thin ones that you root in the gravel and it reaches almost all the way to the surface. It actually came with a very small fish that we did not see. So we rinsed the plant with water and almost threw the fish out. It didn't get acclimatized because we didn't see it and was upside down near the surface when it got into the tank. After some time we didn't see it anymore and my son said that the betta probably at it.

- The betta is eating now. She's not that shy anymore and will gather around the feeding ring with the other fish.

I'll update again tomorrow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat ! maybe your crab will show up again. My tank had a ton of hornwort and anacharis in it when we left, it grows great. I will probably have plenty to pull out and stick some in the pond. Most of the ponds outside have hornwort and anacharis in them, if it survived the winter which it should.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
Yes, the plants we got yesterday was Anacharis!
I had some hornwort before, twice. But they always died in my tanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhhhhh, good old Anacharis, the fish love to eat that up in my pond and when I had an aquarium. If you can keep it growing a bunch so the fish can't keep up w/ eating it then it will be a nice plant but don't think it likes warm water too much.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tank is around 70-75 degrees, well it was when we left home, The stuff is growing like a weed.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Big change in 1 day:
- betta fish is attacking others who are going up to the feeding hole. Very aggressive. Not liking this. But I have added a 2nd feeding ring and see how it goes.
- HARO is doing nicely now, eating a lot and not shy.
- Haven't seen hide nor hair of the tiger shrimp or the Thai micro crab...
- Extra moving bed filter seems to be maturing as some of the media is now circling instead of all being stuck in one place. I have a thought to make one with a large diameter open ended one like a cup and just let the media bubble up all over the place inside it.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It's a 29g, plenty of room for everyone.
2nd ring already added, but betta attacking even not during feeding time. She's going back.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
We returned the betta today. It was really stressing me out watching the betta attack the other fish so when my son came home, he got it out of the tank and we returned. it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go, sorry it never calmed down. They are pretty.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
lol, I don't know if we'll get another one. My son wanted it, but he didn't want another tank to deal with, that's why we put it into the small community tank.

Other news:
I think our other ADF frog is dead because I haven't seen him for a while. Cause of death: starvation because I've never seen him eat.

On a positive note: I've finally seen the tiger shrimp.

Other negative news:
- Haven't seen the amana shrimp, don't know if the tiger killed him.
- Haven't seen the Thai Micro Crab. I'd definitely recommend against getting it for a community tank because it's so tiny.
- Assassin snails. Have seen 3 little ones now, which is a good thing because I hope they will continue to keep the snail population down.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess that's life in the big fishy tank John. You win some and you lose some. You need to get some Clown Loaches...........they are a riot. Had some and loved them

Ask a Question