More planning questions

Reaction score
should I be cutting out "darts" like when you are sewing to make it lay flat? You know, like cut out slices of the liner/underlayment so it will lay flat under the bullnose?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you could since that will never be under water. If it is underwater you water level will be too high lol

That would make if fit nicer, will help get rid of a lot of the excess liner ..........go for it, just make sure you don't cut too low. You pond looks full .....make sure it is, let it sit for a few days, (not sure of where you are at with time right now) This way it will settle and pull the liner down as low as it will go. You may want to leave some looseness to the liner on the pond side before it goes under the bullnose for any future settling, movement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you cut out darts you could always foam them tight or use the pl like addy and glue them together and you would not have to worry .Just like sewing nip and tuck

Reaction score
So yesterday morning my pond water looked a little cloudy, when I got home that afternoon (left work early to work on it) I had green water and only a few inches of visibility! I hooked up the UV and it is now working ( I think) so hoping this will clear up soon! I have been doing water checks and we are getting more alkaline rather than acidic.

There is almost no debris in the pond to remove (only been running since Saturday) so I don't think it is a filth issue but we introduced our turtles to the pond (not the cleanest of creatures) right before this happened and then we had 4 days of 95-100+ weather!

My thought is that we have a new pond with very little established beneficial bacteria and the sudden heat spike affected us. I am hoping it looks better when I get back (that is what the UV says it will do) but is there anything I can do to help? We only have 2 little turtles and 13 fish (mostly small) in a 4,300+ gallon pond that is 5.5 ft deep so why?:toothy12:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all it takes is one algae cell and you get a bloom of them from feeding on the good stuff in the pond .I have read a lot and found that sometimes even buying something as simple as a new plant can cause problems ,Seems there are a thousand reasons for it and all you can do is fight it .I have only ever experienced algae a couple of weeks ago after a new neighbors dog decided to frolic in my pond .I use lava rock and lots of air going in my pond ,not sure if that is what keeps it at bay or what ..But it works for me .Just started 2 neighbors ponds up with lava rock and now they have clear water .My pond is in sun all day. I have to provide some shade and my neighbors ponds are in shade most of the day ,go figure .

Reaction score
yeah, just got some BioClear so I can establish good bacteria and killed the UV (cause it would kinda kill them off too). Hoping by adding in my plants and this will help get some balance.

Ever thing was going great until we added the turtles and the temps got crazy.....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Turtles poop a lot, maybe they added that little extra bio load your pond could not handle.

Reaction score
We should be able to have a larger load than that though. We have 2 baby koi, 9 small fish (goldfish and koi) and 2 medium koi. At 4,300+ gallons and a filter rated for 10,000 gallons I am kinda suprised.

Reaction score
Well it's been a week now and our water is still green :lol: however, it is not getting worse. We have zero nitrites, ammonia or phosphates but a Ph of 9.0. Fish seem happy and normal....when we are able to see them. Added lots of floating plants (parrots feather and water rose(?)) and our 4 lilies (3 water and 1 calla). No icky smell or floating green algae, just the suspended stuff that makes it neon green. The water is still very watery and not viscous at all.

I have added Bioclear (beneficial bacteria) 3 days last week, then 4 days off and will start the cycle over again tomorrow. We are dumping it right into the filter to help it take off but still no clear water. Seriously, I could see the bottom at 8:30 am (last week) and by 3:30 that same day only about 6" down was visible!!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've gone through and read the last couple of weeks posts.
My suggestions for what they are worth, what ever your feeding the fish, cut it in half, I promise they won't starve. Your feeding the water full of nutrients, make those hungry fish eat the algae and bug life for now, There is plenty in there for them to survive off of naturally.
second, back off the beneficial bacteria for the moment, go to once a week until you start reading ammonia then go back to what the directions say,
Third If you can find Watter lettuce, or water hyacinths, add as many as you can. Add plants not fish right now. Then slow down and let the pond do it's thing. I think your right, warm temps, high PH, turtles, fish, wildlife has bounced ahead of the bacteria establishing themselves. Algae is using a lot of that up, once they use a lot of that nutrient up your water should start clearing, beware, I expect you to get a string algae bloom behind this, You'll need to remove it by a brush or by hand until it balances too. But keep in mind, algae are plants, they will actually clear the water by these blooms if you'll be patient. Once you have a good 40% or more coverage of the pond surface with plants you'll notice very little algae growth at all. You'll also find that as the water starts to clear and the pond establishes itself the PH should drop down to a good range as the plants and algae you up some of that alkalinity in the water.

Reaction score
We actually had water lettuce and hyacinths couple days ago but now have nubs, they love the stuff! Actually have only fed them a few times this week actually for that very reason, I want as little poop as possible. Right now we are about 1/3 covered in the floaters, was hoping the lettuce and hyacinths would flourish but again too tasty, gotta get more. My husband wants to just run the UV full bore and kill everything but I want to let nature handle it. How long should I prepare for it to take mother nature to give me a clear pond again?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Kick the UV in, It won't hurt, That's why you bought it. how big are your Koi? I have 20 koi ranging from 4" to almost 20" and I keep some lettuce and lilies in the pond, I do raise some lettuce in a pond where the koi can't get to them and when they start out growing I add them to the koi, not saying they don't eat on them, they love to eat the roots but as you get enough they will grow faster than the fish will eat them. lettuce and hyacinths are the two best floaters to use to help clear water. Clearing can take a few days to a couple of month's. If you kick the UV in and up the plants, don't add any fish, I would guess 1-3 weeks it should be noticeably clearer, I doubt your going to see what your looking for until after the pond cycles. You'll be able to tell it on a test kit because you'll get a ammonia spike, then nitrite and then start reading some nitrate, shortly after that you'll see a noticeable change for the better.

Reaction score
Ah, see the people at the pond place (I'm sure you hear that a lot) said that UV would just kill everything so until we found balance naturally that would be a bad thing. I guess at this point we could have enough stuff hanging out on the sides of things that it won't be a problem anymore? I have heard people claim to turn on the UV and then in 1-2 days having perfect water again but I won't hold my breath. We do have a massive 80watt unit though :lol:

Ask a Question