mosquito Dunks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are Dunks safe for a goldfish pond? These are floating disks that contain bacteria, which eat mosquito larvae. I am especially concerned about whether they might affect the water cycle. I found a website that says they are fine. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7487
These guys claim to be veterinarians. Does anyone have any experience with Dunks and fish?
Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally, I wouldn't use them, but that's not saying they're bad or harmful. [but they are pretty darn expensive]

If you have fish in your pond, usually the fish will eliminate the mosquito problem for you. In fact, just a few days ago I found where I missed dumping a bucket that was 1/2 filled with rain water. The water was teeming with mosquito larvae and some other little critters. But instead of dumping it, I sucked the larvae up and squirted them into the pond -- the fish devoured them! And I think that mosquitos will tend to lay their eggs [egg rafts, whatever....] in still water rather than in water that has a current, like in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, your goldfish will eat the larvae and a pond with water movement isn't as desirable, as still water, for mosquitoes to breed in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed Maggie so will koi and I'm anything for a free lunch for our pride and joys :happy:

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have not seen one mosquito since the ponds went in. Even with the stream running on a timer, twice a day, if they do breed in the stream or stream ponds it is flushed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've never had any mosquito larvae in the pond. I've left buckets out and they're teaming with mosquito larvae very quickly. I can't believe that your goldfish aren't taking care of the larvae...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, there aren't many goldfish in there right now. I suspect the mosquito problem will go away when I get more fish in the pond after the water cycle is complete.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have about ten tubs of varying sizes at the garden center, and several at home, to hold water plants for sale or culture. It seldom takes long for the skeeters to find these and lay their eggs. Two small goldfish in each tub, and the problem is solved! And at the end of the season you have some nice, fat goldfish. :D
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a "middle pond" and a "lower pond". The fish are in the lower pond and to be safe, I do put half a mosquito dunk in the middle pond at a time -- there are some dead areas where water doesn't really flow. I've tried keeping a few fish in the middle pond, and they invariably end up hopping the waterfall to be with their buds down below. Never had a problem using the dunks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no fish in 5 different ponds, never see mosquito larvae, maybe the tad poles eat them up.

Ask a Question