Mosquito larvae…

Reaction score
Hi. I have a very small pond in my garden hoping to attract wildlife. It was built about three weeks ago and is stagnant water; the pond is so small that adding a pump would be difficult. I discovered mosquito larvae in the pond today. About a dozen or so. Should I leave them alone or is it important to try and get rid of them? Feels counter productive to have built a wildlife pond and then kill what’s in there! If anyone has had a similar experience, maybe you could advise. Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With no fish and no circulation, mosquitos will be a problem . Unless you like being bitten by them, the mosquito dunks will work and not harm any wildlife

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
put a male or a couple male guppies in there small will stay small and will not reproduce.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rosey Reds.jpg
1629155948893.gif
@MexicanBob
Or put in some tiny Rosy Reds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use mosquito flakes approximately every two weeks, sometimes less often if I'm not noticing any larvae in my water gardens. The flakes have the same active ingredient as the dunks: Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (B.t.i.). It is an type of bacteria that selectively kills aquatic fly larvae including mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do your rosy reds ever show themselves? Mine flash every once in a great while. I don't ever see them, so I don't know how many I even have.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have a very small pond in my garden hoping to attract wildlife. It was built about three weeks ago and is stagnant water; the pond is so small that adding a pump would be difficult. I discovered mosquito larvae in the pond today. About a dozen or so. Should I leave them alone or is it important to try and get rid of them? Feels counter productive to have built a wildlife pond and then kill what’s in there! If anyone has had a similar experience, maybe you could advise. Thanks!
Welcome MexicanBob! How many gallons is your pond? You mention that it is so small that adding a pump would be difficult. Virtually anything larger than a birdbath can accommodate a small pump.

Ask a Question