Mosquitoes.. I need ideas.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mosquitoes in ones yard can come from most anywhere.

"Mosquito species preferring to breed around the house, like the Asian Tiger Mosquito, have limited flight ranges of about 300 feet. Most species have flight ranges of 1-3 miles. Certain large pool breeders in the Midwest are often found up to 7 miles from known breeding spots."
FAQ - American Mosquito Control Association
www.mosquito.org/faq

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My local government was offering free mosquito fish to local ponders some years ago. I never noticed any mosquito's around my pond so I declined.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
also called mosq magnet
How It Works - Mosquito Trap - YouTube

These contraptions have been on the market for over 10 years. I know of several people that purchased them including a former next door neighbor. What a rip-off. I have had cats that could catch more mosquitoes than these pieces of junk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi guys,
I live in the Laurentians, in Quebec (should I say mosquitos land?). I built my 1500gal pond last year and I can tell that there are no more mosquitos as before but none less. Keep in mind larveas can't survive in moving water.
On the plus side I now have frogs and tree frogs, birds coming for drinking and for bathing, some species I never saw before!
There are no cons, my water is crystal clear thanks to the barley straws, lots of aquatic plants and the aerator. No filtration at all.

Real problem here is when one start believing your pond is a mosquito or worst a zikka nursery... no matter what, odds are against you.

Hope you keep your pond.
Daniel
we have mosquitoes time to time but my pond has no larvae at all , fishes eat them and as u said moving water , altho mosquitoes will find corners but still even if they hatch they can never survive ,fishes are always eating things from everywhere , specialy fishes under 6 inch...

but i noticed that ponds do attract mosquitoes because of water they think its place to lay eggs and moisture plus dense plantation and darkness of water colour at evening .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
6 Mosquito Repellent Plants | Garden Design
http://www.gardendesign.com/plants/mosquito-repellent.html

11 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes
http://www.naturallivingideas.com/11-plants-that-repel-mosquitoes/

8 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes Naturally | Rodale's Organic Life
http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/8-plants-repel-mosquitos-naturally

List of pest-repelling plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pest-repelling_plants

Nice list... I'm gonna plant these next year.. it's getting late in the season to plant stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
we have mosquitoes time to time but my pond has no larvae at all , fishes eat them and as u said moving water , altho mosquitoes will find corners but still even if they hatch they can never survive ,fishes are always eating things from everywhere , specialy fishes under 6 inch...

but i noticed that ponds do attract mosquitoes because of water they think its place to lay eggs and moisture plus dense plantation and darkness of water colour at evening .

I believe that's what's happening, they think the water is safe to lay eggs in, like a corner or a plant shelf but little do they know the goldfish and minnows will get the larvae, if it actually survives the dunks. That of course doesn't help me cause they keep coming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Well it looks like they've gone past "self-appointed do-gooders idiots" to full on "nuc'em from Orbit to be sure" whackos and are spraying naled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naled Naled is an organophosphate, same family as nerve gases, and "Naled is considered highly toxic to bees, as well as being moderately to highly toxic to birds and toxic to most aquatic life, ... Naled may cross the placenta if it is in the bloodstream. It may also cause future behavioral problems." (which means it's BAD for pregnant women and children).

Naled degrades fairly rapidly with half-lifes of <=8 hours in soils and <=25 hours in aqueous solutions. .... Neither naled nor dichlorvos accumulate in fish tissues. In conclusion, naled does not appear to represent an environmental hazard based on the aforementioned data which indicate very rapid degradation and extremely low bioaccumulation potential. - However, available data are insufficient to fully assess the
environmental fate of naled.http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/mevinphos-propargite/naled/insect-prof-naled.html CHEMICAL FACT SHEET FOR: NALED

They are frequently not telling people about spraying, perhaps to avoid protests, which is likely to impact us ponders and beekeepers in zika areas.

I Would suggest tenting your ponds to keep areial spraying from directly contacting your ponds if possible, keeping your pH above 7 and adding activated charcoal to your filtration to possibly absorb any that sneaks past if your in a likely zika spray area. It's half-life of 25 hrs means that if it getting into our water, it'll take about 10 days for it to be reduced to effectively none.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased one about 8 years ago. The idea is to place it well away from areas you frequently traffic so it draws the mosquitos away. It's suppose to cover a one acre area. The brand I had didn't catch any! A buddy's parents had a different brand and they would get about a half cup of mosquitos a night. I gave up on the idea because mine was a $200 piece of junk.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I think I figured it out... I'm thinking it's my water hyacinths. They have grown big time and I hear they attract mosquitoes.

Ask a Question