Moss between rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like using various plants and let the moss move in where it loves it. The moss moved into the shady spots by itself but you can steal some off the rocks in a stream or wherever and place it on the rocks yourself. There is some kind of a buttermilk recipe solution that you can apply on the rocks to make the moss stay on better. Maybe google moss recipe using buttermilk.

View attachment 91333

View attachment 91334

View attachment 91335
wow, awesome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@KC Crook thank you and it's a bunch of whatever plants and I don't really know what they are either. Some just showed up, some I found out in the wild and some I had scattered in other gardens and just plucked them out and put them there.

Yes bare soil is scary :eek:

Some of your ground cover is Creeping Jenny. (The chartreuse trailing stuff.) I wondered if it drives you nuts, or if it is fairly easy to control. I know it can be a little overly enthusiastic! (A nice gardener's word for "invasive.") It is really pretty by your pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I know which ones are the Creeping Jenny and if it gets going too well I just clip it off and all is well and there by the pond it is not very invasive. I like the way it trails into the pond and down the rocks outside the edge @bagsmom

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I find that the golden variety of Creeping Jenny is a LOT less invasive than the normal green one. I planted some about 15 years ago, and I'm still waiting for it to cover some ground! :(
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine looks similar to @j.w . I have dropped pea gravel between the edge rocks and put stuff in those crannies. They do fine. I think I have some moss growing somewhere, but it self-planted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I find that the golden variety of Creeping Jenny is a LOT less invasive than the normal green one. I planted some about 15 years ago, and I'm still waiting for it to cover some ground! :(
John
I have both, both grow about the same rate. Neither have caused any invasive type issues.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hey all. This will be my 2nd summer with my pond so I'm still fairly new to it. Is there any kind of moss, or "moss like" plant that can grow in the voids between the rocks around my pond where there's no soil? I'm in zone 6

Try Mare's Tail (Hippuris vulgaris).

Looks great, perennial, requires no soil and is aquatic.
Mares Tail.jpg

Ask a Question