moss on rocks

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I had this thought last night that it would be kind of cool to grow some moss on a portion of the rocks surrounding my pond.

Has anyone ever cultivated moss on rocks? I'm in Nebraska (zone 5) if that helps.
Tim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did and just used existing moss and butter milk in a blender and brushed it on the rocks and kept it damp .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
That actually sounds like a cool idea, and now it makes me wonder why the moss from the shady parts of the yard have not spread to the pond. I may have to try giving them a kickstart...

Sissy -- why buttermilk?

Reaction score
i have ..
just about the hole back of my pond is moss that has been transplanted .
all i did was take it up with a flat shovel wet it really well and pace ware i wanted it . here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 333

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have lots of moss on my side yard and by the guest house and spray it with butter milk also and it gets thicker and greener .I just water the butter milk down and use it like fertilizer and it gets greener and greener

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i added moss to one of my plant pots that rests at the surface of the water, always stays wet, but i think the full sun is starting to burn it out. There was a toad on it last night.

Attachments

• DSCN2351.jpg
    DSCN2351.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 259

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I haven't tried this but theere are people who use screens (like from a window) and drape the screens over the rocks and water and place moss on the screen with the idea that the moss roots go into the water where they receive their nutrients. I think the original idea for doing this was to hide the rocks that are hiding the liner

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I have a couple of friends on the lookout for moss for me. One is a tree guy; the other is a landscaper. Both think they can have quite a bit collected by the weekend! Here's to moss cultivation!

Ask a Question