Moving my Ryunkins

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
After the tank has cycled change out 50% of the water and exchange it with pond water. When moving them try NOT to net them, if possible catch them in a bowl or something that won't remove slime coating from their body. When getting them used to the new water, add new water gradually/ slowly so temps and water chemisty doesn't change abruptly. Also if possible try to move them in before the first ice forms on the pond. Before the water reaches 50-55 degrees would probably be a better time to move indoors.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Thanks Larkin, the pond is staying around 68 to 70 right now. I am cycling my aquarium with raw shrimp. Didn't know about putting my pond water in the tank. Later I plan to get a couple of Oranda's. Will have no more than 4 fish in this tank.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've never tried cycling with shrimp. Not sure I would try that either. i think I understand thinking that the shrimp will break down and strt kicking everything in. Well house oart withf bacteria to sthold ammonia will too. I prefer to stock the tank with fish I can handle losing and monitoring water. When the ammonia reaches 2ppm then start water changing every other day until it drops back down to .5-.25 ppm. then start watching nitrites. Once they rise and then start dropping it's functioning. From there just watch water conditions. I usually use some type of filter material from a already running filter to help get a colony of starter bacteria up and going.
We have 6- 4-5" fantails and 7- 2-3" butterfly koi in our 75 gallon and they been doing really good all summer, i run undergravel filters and two magnum canister filters turned down to slow the water pumped.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
fantails/ryukins/Oranda's can get rather large. I've seen a very few that had bodies the size of Softballs. nose to tail 10"+ But seriously, That's rare. on average super large is about the size of a average mans fist. You know that a comet can reach 16"+ full grown, I've never personally seen one that big but supposedly they can. I've seen 12-14" Actually I have a comet including tail that's about 13" and three years old, so it could get that large. Here are a few pics of some super large fantails to give you a idea.

Attachments

• imagesCAB16SQ5.jpg
    imagesCAB16SQ5.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 189
  • large fantail.jpg
    large fantail.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 218
  • untitled 4.png
    untitled 4.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 215

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some of my shubbies in a 55 gallon tank. To start it up I filled it with pond water, added three small shubbies and let it run for a few weeks. Since then I added 4 of our deck shubbies, they are around 3 inches in size. So far every time I have tested the water it has been great.
The rest of the deck shubbies will be added in the next week or so. My honey wanted them in for the winter. They where all around an inch this when added this summer to the deck pond, petsmart shubbies. I don't really know how many are in the deck pond, will do a count as we pull them, they do eat out of my hands and nibble on my fingers. Friendly right now, until I start trying to grab them lol.

Just one canister filter, fluval, bare bottom tank. I added more filter material than it came with, but it works great. Added some arachanis in kitty litter in pots. It does fine until the fish yank it out. I think I will grow some in a separate container for winter replacement factor. Even see some ride along trap door snails, most have come in with the plants.

While we were gone I stuck a few of those feeder tabs in. I could see, by camera, they ate most of them by the first week, but I also had put a lot of pond plants in for nibbling factor. The plants where eaten down to stems by the time we got back. But the fish where fine, the water tests perfect.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
There huge Larkin! I have no desire to have anything but fancy goldfish in my aqarium. Goldfish have such a personality and most seem to love human interaction. I love to watch my Ryunkins. From peoples videos I have seen Orandas can be very friendly with humans.
Addy, sounds like your fish did well while you were gone. I'm sure you were glad to see them too :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They run for food the second I walk near the tank, little pigs!

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Addy, there's a lady on youtube that has these amazing videos of her fancy Telescope and Ryunkmiingoldfish. She does a graveless bottom tank and that is what I am doing. She makes her own gel food treats and I found a recipe using gelatin and baby food (carrots, peas, green beans,and spinach in ice trays. She also has this clip that suctions on the side of her tank that holds spinach leaves in. She h slightly micro waves a few seconds in a little water the leaves to soften. The fish nib"ble on it and lov""e it. Her youtube name is "flashofpink" just plug her name in the search on youtube and it should bring up all of her videos. The first video Iwatched was called "goldfish feeding frenzy"

Reaction score
This will be the fist year i have Ryunkins, they will over winter won't they? The pond they are in is 2.5 ft deep and right next to the house, so it's pretty protected from harsh winds, very rarly has it iced over...

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
I am bringing mine in fishy. My pond isn't as deep and I don't want to take any chances. I have decided to just keep my regular goldies and comets outside and come spring I am getting some Shubunkins. Anything fancier I am keeping inside.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, there's a lady on youtube that has these amazing videos of her fancy Telescope and Ryunkmiingoldfish. She does a graveless bottom tank and that is what I am doing. She makes her own gel food treats and I found a recipe using gelatin and baby food (carrots, peas, green beans,and spinach in ice trays. She also has this clip that suctions on the side of her tank that holds spinach leaves in. She h slightly micro waves a few seconds in a little water the leaves to soften. The fish nib"ble on it and lov""e it. Her youtube name is "flashofpink" just plug her name in the search on youtube and it should bring up all of her videos. The first video Iwatched was called "goldfish feeding frenzy"

Thanks I will check it. The shubbies would do fine outside in the big pond, but if we have a cold winter the deck pond is not deep enough or insulated enough, It most likely will freeze pretty much solid. Honey really wanted to bring them in so we are going to. I keep the bottom gravel less easy to clean. I am also feeding them some good koi food, very little waste in the tank. I had nothing much to clean when we got home.

Like the idea of spinach and other stuff.

Ask a Question