Murky brown green water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Green water is a clear sign there's to much organics in the water column. if its to much food or to much decaying plant matter. It matters not, if it is the sole reason the algae is growing you will only kill the active Algae cells
Quilt batting is a good fix for dirty water but will not take care of the algae problem which is what I'm seeing. I have Youtube videos on both problems. Neither are perfect solutions. The quilt batting has to have regular cleaning or replacement. If it isn't cleaned it will clog and depending on where it is located can burn the pump out or stop the water flowing back into the pond. The UV light has to be changed and that can run into money. But the UV light will clean up the pond and will do it very quickly. Plants are needed but until then you can either suffer with green water or put the UV in and enjoy the pond.
algae is growing off organics that are in the water using batting can make a living algae / plant based filter as well as removing the fine organics in the water. Yes it will need constant replacement as is clogs this is less then a high tech solution it is as simple as it gets. Everyone on this site myself included gets a sign of green water in the spring. But regardless if they have a bog loaded with plants and a mature pond when the nitrogen cycle comes back to life this too feeds off the " GREEN " water Yes i will give you the uv will kill the algea this hides the organics it does nothing to remove them. and eventualy the amount of organics in the water will out compete a uv. The problem in that there's is a lack of filtration somewhere .or is it a maintenance issue in cleaniing the filter or is it that cleaning the filter starts the nitrogen cycle all over again each time it is cleaned. is it there not a large enough flow / turn around in the pond through the filter maybe is it the same issue with the filter but the water is pushed through too fast ? maybe... Is it theres a lack of competing plants to absorb the same nutrients as the algae PROBABLY. It can be many issues it can be one or it could be a combination

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
100% agree. UV, to me, is just another band-aid fix. And while it's killing off the single celled algae, what else is it killing? Ignoring the "why" of a green pond just means you'll have a repeat of the problem. And maybe the why is it's a new pond with few to no plants. Or it's spring and the plants haven't kicked it into gear yet. Or you have too many fish in a too small pond. Figure that out and you'll not have to spend a dime to keep your pond clear.

I can honestly say we never get green water any more. First year, yes. Never again.

Reaction score
The debate about a UV light can go on and on. But the results can't be denied. I had green water from about day three when my pond was first built. I tried plants and draining and refilling and plants and anything else that I read about on the internet. I did testing liquid testing and strip testing and chemicals to offset the chemicals, So I know the frustration of a green pond that won't clear. And I also learned about what is written on the internet. My problem was that I lived next to a farm and used spring water to fill the pond. No amount of anything can fix water high in nutrients. Well, I shouldn't say anything. One week on a UV light and my pond was crystal clear. Summer is too short for most of us to have to spend it looking at green water. There may be underlying problems that can or can't be fixed. But like a headache why suffer when it's as simple as taking an aspirin. As Pebbles said "I feel like I might as well fill in the pond as so far there is no joy from this only frustration" So Pebbles can fill in the pond or plug in a light. The choice is pretty clear, at least to me. Nuff said.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe "nuff said" for you, but you have to admit - that UV light isn't doing a thing to address a high nutrient level. And there is indeed something that can fix a high nutrient level - more plants. Or reduce your fish load. Or feed less. Or remove organics from the pond.

Your headache example is perfect - if you KNOW WHY you have a headache, then go ahead and take the aspirin and relieve the symptom. But what if you don't know what's causing it - how many aspirin will you take for a headache that won't go away? Or keeps coming back every time the aspirin wears off? At some point I would hope you would take it a step further and try to figure out what's causing it. Is it better to fix the problem or just address the symptoms?

And I'd argue that all your chemicals and emptying and refilling your pond to try to fix a green water issue only exacerbated your problem, if I were going to argue but I'm not. You're happy using UV filtration and that's fine. I just think it's good for people to hear that there are other approaches that are low-tech, low cost and long lasting... AND not damaging to other microscopic organisms in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like Lisa, I haven't had GPS (@addy1 ; here's another acronym for the list--Green Pond Syndrome) since day one. I think once you find the right balance, or have enough thriving plants, such as a UV light is totally unnecessary. I think that's our point. I agree it sucks to have to go through GPS but it should be a one time thing not routine each spring. You have to ask yourself why some don't get green water and some do. I'd certainly be listening to those that don't.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No green water ever, the bog was planted as the pond was done. It is a bit murky after first turn on in the spring,after 5 months off. Within a few days back to clear water.

Ask a Question