Murky Water in new pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just built a small pond (750ltr) with a water cascade and the water seems to be taking some time to clear (or its me being impatient - waited 2 weeks) . It’s not algae related, I think it’s floating clay and I can’t find any product to sort this. One thing I did see mentioned online was using Gypsum to sink the clay to the bottom.

Has anyone got experience of using Gypsum for this purpose or any other suggestion to clear the water (no fish in the pond yet).

Attachments

• A7054BFE-4C9E-43A1-99FE-0FBB3D92CEA5.jpeg
    A7054BFE-4C9E-43A1-99FE-0FBB3D92CEA5.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Never heard of using gypsum. I've used koi clay (which is bentonite or montmorillonite clay) as a flocculant. But you may want to try mechanical filtration - a simple set up with a bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom filled with quilt batting would work. Run a plumbing line into the bucket and let the quilt batting catch the particulants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’ve just built a small pond (750ltr) with a water cascade and the water seems to be taking some time to clear (or its me being impatient - waited 2 weeks) . It’s not algae related, I think it’s floating clay and I can’t find any product to sort this. One thing I did see mentioned online was using Gypsum to sink the clay to the bottom.

Has anyone got experience of using Gypsum for this purpose or any other suggestion to clear the water (no fish in the pond yet).
when I expanded and put in my new liner, it was raining and I had a decent amount of clay from the side berms wash in. At first, like you, the water looked murky but it didn't take that long before it seemed to settle. Now, the difference (from your pic) is that I have a bog filtration system and you don't. I do believe a bog helps filter out some of this 'silt'. Consider the other advantages and look here at the many bog threads to see if maybe it's something in which you might be interested. The flocculant will help; I too have heard using koi clay (the montmorillonite clay Lisa mentioned above) helps as well as being good for your koi--helps with color as they like to ingest it while they sift the bottom looking for food. I've even dusted my koi food before feeding, just for this purpose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never heard of using gypsum. I've used koi clay (which is bentonite or montmorillonite clay) as a flocculant. But you may want to try mechanical filtration - a simple set up with a bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom filled with quilt batting would work. Run a plumbing line into the bucket and let the quilt batting catch the particulants.
Thanks I will give those a try. Roy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I have worke with a lot of sheet rock and you think 2 weeks is a long time for your water to clear there is little that disinigrates like gypsum just add water..

This is what i would do ad many here would agree with this i would be willing to bet. You have created a beautiful back yard space. but i'm looking off to the left of the pond and it's not fitting to the back yard. i would expand your retaining wall from the water fall and build a bog in reality making the water fall higher and look like it's coming out of the woods. an in the end youll have crystal clear water
xz.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have worke with a lot of sheet rock and you think 2 weeks is a long time for your water to clear there is little that disinigrates like gypsum just add water..

This is what i would do ad many here would agree with this i would be willing to bet. You have created a beautiful back yard space. but i'm looking off to the left of the pond and it's not fitting to the back yard. i would expand your retaining wall from the water fall and build a bog in reality making the water fall higher and look like it's coming out of the woods. an in the end youll have crystal clear water View attachment 135479
Thanks for your ideas. The gap between the fence is for the pond filter and in time we intend to have some tall plants in pots hanging over but will consider your idea. Cheers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
+You wouldn't need maintenance to the pond filter and obviously its not doing the job you'd like to see,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use koi clay it gets cloudy but clears and it is good for the fish ,adds minerals the fish need

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A filter planted can also work great .I have 2 stock tank filters and grow plants in them and trim the roots and it works great .Easy to maintain also .I do almost nothing with my pond because I have no time for it
DSC00490.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01150.JPG
    DSC01150.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just worked out why my pond is murky, I used clay to plant my marginal plants. I originally thought using clay would prevent clouding the water but after reading up and seeing the clay leak out when a hose pipe accidentally sprayed a pot, I now realise that far from being a solution clay for potting plants is the problem. So I have drained the pond, taken out the plants and will repot them in hessian lines pots using pond soil and refilled the pond and added some koi clay. So hopefully after letting it settle and the chlorine to dissipate it should be ready to transfer my fish from my small pond into this new one. You live and learn !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm glad you found the problem. We all want the clearest water possible.

I plant most of my plants in baskets of river rocks. They grow great that way. I use sand for the water lilies.

It works well for me and there is no clay potting material in the pond, not even cat litter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use nothing but clay for my plants and my water stays crystal clear. My bog does the work.

Ask a Question