Murky water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just recently in the last four days or so my water in my pond is starting to look real murky no green though I’m not sure why I’m looking for help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 119

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
do you have fish, if you have koi, they love to stir up bottom debris, or if you dont it is very likely your pond may have been visited by a predator, and they stirred up all the silt on the bottom, it is really nothing to worry about if it is one of these, if you dont have fish, and it is still murky, then there is absoulutly zero reason to be worried at all, as it cant really harm anything

wait a few days and just see if it starts to go down :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like organics in the water column to me . filter batting and your pump dumping into a catch will help but it's probably only a temp fix Whats your filter system

Reaction score
Country
United States
After posting my question I decided to go to my upper holding pond and tear everything out lava rock filters very bad very bad cleaned everything reassembled and I’ll wait a few days thanks again for your comments and help It is greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United States
do you have fish, if you have koi, they love to stir up bottom debris, or if you dont it is very likely your pond may have been visited by a predator, and they stirred up all the silt on the bottom, it is really nothing to worry about if it is one of these, if you dont have fish, and it is still murky, then there is absoulutly zero reason to be worried at all, as it cant really harm anything

wait a few days and just see if it starts to go down :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Visit my pond build here!
After posting my question I decided to check my filter and lava rock in my upper pond for the waterfalls they were very bad I’m going to assume there was my problem cleaned everything thanks for your reply it is greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That may have been a mistake , depending on how you cleaned. with lava rock you want to dip them into a bucket to rinse off the heavy sediment but you don't want to clean them and wash off the bacteria and other micro organisms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That may have been a mistake , depending on how you cleaned. with lava rock you want to dip them into a bucket to rinse off the heavy sediment but you don't want to clean them and wash off the bacteria and other micro organisms.
Oops not knowing that’s exactly what I did I hosed them off with a hose in the grass my lava rock are in bags netted bags on top of filter material I removed everything and hosed it off with the hose and cleaned out the holding pond and reassembled everything what is done is done hopefully I’ll be OK thanks again for your comment I appreciate it

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oops not knowing that’s exactly what I did I hosed them off to tiwith a hose in the grass my lava rock are in bags netted bags on top of filter material I removed everything and hosed it off with the hose and cleaned out the holding pond and reassembled everything what is done is done hopefully I’ll be OK thanks again for your comment I appreciate it
Fortunately, you maybe ok. The way your pond is designed having it all rocked in there is a lot of surface area for Beneficial bacteria to colonize, so b.b. population shouldn’t be concentrated in/on your lava rock. Between that and your plants it should prevent a mini cycle from happening as long as your pond isn’t over populated with large fish.

I tossed my bags o’ lava rock out of my filter system years ago Because they end up just becoming a muck catching mess leading to degradation in water quality. My pond is loaded with plants, a bog as well as rock and planting beds of pea gravel , so there was tons of surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize. Saw no change in the fish behavior as a result of doing this.

Ask a Question