Murky Water in new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you mean "clay" like kitty litter clay? Or clay from your yard? I hope you did find the problem, but like @addy1 said, many of us use kitty litter clay with no clouding issues. And here's another tip - you don't really need any kind of soil or clay or even pots for pond plants. Plant them right in the pond. Use some gravel to anchor them until they get rooted. No pots, no soil, no mess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm also a big proponent of bog filtration. After many years of trying different (inadequate) filters both homemade and store bought, I finally added a bog filter to my pond. The results were 100% amazing. I never had such clear water and with just about zero maintenance. No more rinsing of filter pads. And no UV lights. Just sit back, let the bog do its thing, and enjoy crystal clear water.
A bog is proportional to your pond. It can be big or small.

Plants are an essential part of your pond's ecology. Plant them directly in your pond or bog without pots if possible. The easier the roots have contact with the water the better.
Many of us use pure cat litter if a medium is needed. The cheap no frills type with no perfumes or other additives. Initially when using cat litter, the water will cloud a bit, but it will be clear the next day.
Also, you can add a top layer of small pebbles or stones to keep your cat litter or soil in place.

You will find from experience that ponding requires patience. Things dont happen immediately.

I can't stress enough how I love my bog. Instead of constant maintenance, I now can relax and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just got a alert there was movement at my pond it never is wrong but when I looked a couldn't see what had set the alarm off untill. See if you can spot the culprit.
Screenshot_20201212-123947_Nest.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What's that atop the umbrella? A hawk? Falcon? I can just about make out the tail end of a bird of prey.
Or have I got it all wrong and this is a joke about the press briefing on the screen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yup Goswing hawk rather agressive. But just fishing for frogs

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had my big dead maple cut down, but left big branches about 15ish feet in the air. The hawks love to land there and look for frogs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get a lot of owls around here ,barn owls and other kinds but they don't seem to bother the pond .I have caught deer drinking out of the pond because I forgot to fill their water trough during drought time here .I keep the trough out in the woods so it is easy for them to get too .I am having a problem getting straw bales for the deer to bed down in .My woods so no one can stop me .I don't eat meat at all so give them a warm place and owls do steal the straw and so do all the birds .I am sure other critters like it also .Had 2 over 500 lb bears here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang all you need is an arch the critters came to you

Ask a Question