My 11000L koi pond w.sleepers build - pics etc..

Reaction score
Hey, this is my current build in england, of an approx 11kL koi pond. Dimentions are 2m wide, 1.8m deepend depth, 1,2m plantshelf depth, 3,2m length.

before it started, on leftish;
DSC00012-4.jpg

original dig in september when the builders were about with digger;
1-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

sleeper pile;
DSC00328.jpg

Reaction score
state of hole by april after i went to uni before i could build it, and chrismas was too cold!
DSC00326.jpg

cutting sleepers to size;
DSC00333.jpg

sticking in layer one of sleepers (timberlock screws);
DSC00334.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

Reaction score
carpet on rear to cover the sharp stones:
DSC00368.jpg

underlay in:
DSC00371.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

got another row of sleepers to go on top making it two high, flush mounting the filter hoses in and out, putting some nice reclaimation yard vintage oak plank topping onto the sleeper tops to hide the liner etc etc etc.....

Work in progress, should be finished soon

Reaction score
Nice progress. Whats protruding against the liner in corner of the last picture. You may want to pull whatever it is out, it will cause problems later. Keep us updated!

Reaction score
not sure which corner you mean, but it will be flush once the waters in, theres old carpets on the worst bits under the underlay which are naturally warped etc from 6months outside in the rain, shall squeeze flat once full.

Off to the builders merchants now to be raped for all my money to get the 'self screwing' timberloks in, maybe on crap pine sleepers yes but now african azobe!

Reaction score
Very nice!

Hey, are you putting a bottom drain in? My pond is similar to yours (not quite as big), in that it's very deep. I love that it's deep, keeps the temp nice and stable. However, it makes cleaning the bottom a bit tricky - most pond vacs lose suction after 3 feet depth (my pond is 6 feet deep). Before you get to the final stages, you might want to think about how you're going to clean the bottom...

It looks like yours is wide and flat enough that you could maybe use a pool vac?

My bottom is small (only about 2' diameter), so I clean mine using an aquarium python hooked to the garden hose, but it clogs up a lot, so is a total PITA to do...

Reaction score
thats french railway sleepers - same as european beams.

measure 2600mm x 250mm x 150mm (104" x 10" x 6").

Very common garden/landscaping building material in the UK, readily available, only £12.50 a piece for mine (grade B used). Can get them gradeA or brand new too, from softwood to hardwood (this african azobe is one of the hardest),

Wish id got gradeA now, these beams are a nightmare to work with and many of them are in terrible condition. Oh well, lesson learned.

Reaction score
no bottom drain, dont trust sealing it and never getting a leak, got a large solids pump which will go into the deepend. Shouldnt be an issue, never has on other ponds ive done. Depth is 5.5ft.

Got 3days left before i leave again for uni, hoping to finish it all.

Reaction score
fair 'nough :)

I hadn't stuck my solids pump into the bottom, was afraid of it sucking up fry, and my cabomba/foxtail/etc. But...am thinking I'd rather lose fry than try to suck the bottom clean every spring and fall!

Reaction score
its going to be away from the plants where any spawning etc might happen etc, and really am not bothered either way. Like just having the fish from the shop, dont need them to breed!

plans have changed again, ponds filling now, need to bolt sleepers tomorrow to fill above ground etc etc....

will show a plan in a bit to get some advice, involves getting the mini digger back and getting a waterfall :)

Ask a Question