My 5,000 Gal Pond Build In Photos

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your build is looking real good !!!!
Are you going to add valves to balance the air to the bottom drains ?
The air might want to come out the first opening faster

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your filtrer going to be a moving bed?
What size air pumps are you going to use?

Reaction score
yes, DrC, I will have valves on every single pipe to control air and water flow. I think they appear to be tied together in the photo, but they are all separate.

I'm still wrapping my brain around the filtration, DoDad. I'm thinking of turning my current barrel into a moving bed, yes. I think my existing AV-50 pump will suffice for that. I also plan on a 150 gallon stock tank for bio filtration, and am pondering the media for that now. I will have the Medo LA-80 running just the two BD's. I'm considering doing a DIY sand and gravel filter some days, but I really want to avoid the cost of the blower involved in that kind of set up. If I went that route, it would likely be in a year or two.

Reaction score
Last night I used Plumbers Goop, which I purchased at Lowe's to pour on every single union point on the PVC piping. The stuff hardens quickly and forms a great seal. Hopefully, this will mean we will have no leaks. Just a bit of extra insurance.

Today we got the bottom drains cemented in. We managed to wrangle them into a cinder block, so you could literally stand on the BD and nothing would happen to it. It's firmly encased inside a block to protect it. We then made a form around them and poured cement to make sure they never go anywhere. We also built up the far wall to start prepping it for putting in the skimmer tomorrow. We will likely need to cut through the block on the 4th course there to set it properly, and I'm ready with the grinder to do so.

CIMG2647.jpg

I spend a bit over an hour raking the dirt on the ground and picking up as many rocks as I could. I wanted to do that before we lay out the underlayment and the liner. I'll never get 'em all, but tried to get anything that looked sharp or suspicious.

We also started pouring concrete into a bunch of the cells with rebar or those sporting the TPR's. Normally, builders will dry stack the block and then pour cement in every single cell. We mortared together all the block and will be filling every third row fully from top to bottom with cement. Then the whole thing will be backfilled with dirt all around, so only the top course and a half will be above ground. In the cells without cement, we've put bits of concrete, rocks and dirt.This thing ain't going anywhere.

CIMG2648.jpg

We're supposed to get rain tomorrow evening, so hopefully we'll be able to get a bunch done during the day. I'm hoping we can lay the underlayment and liner in on Wednesday, and then build the waterfall wall on Thursday. Our hope is to be done on Saturday with the pond build--not including the filtration. I figure that will take me another week or so, at least.

My old pond is losing a good 6-7 inches of water per week. So, it's a good thing we're doing this.

The grass in the yard looks positively terrible now since we've been running over it with the dingo, and now wheelbarrows and tossing dirt on it. I guess it's just going to look fairly crappy this year. Hubby is not happy about this whatsoever. He's also not happy that I've had no time to plant the veggie plants and herbs he wants out. The reality is that the pond is now taking up the space that was our veggie patch. Ah well, one must set the priorities straight!

Reaction score
we did no work today, as it rained. Hopefully tomorrow! I got a good deal on poly strapping as a filter media on Ebay today, and my sieve arrives tomorrow. More updates soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hint: Start your bio now. Buy a Ammonia Alert by Seachem Put your media in your bio filter, close the valves on each side of the bio chambers and fill with water. Have air stone in the bottom.
Pour about a tsp of ammonia in the bio chamber and tie a string around the Ammonia Alert and put it in the water. Turn the air on wait a couple of hours and then check the Ammonia Alert to see if it has changed color if not add more Ammonia . If it did check every day until the Ammonia Alert shows no Ammonia, then add more.
It's best if you can add a little bio media that has the bio in it

Reaction score
I'm with ya, DoDad! I'm still waiting for my stock tank to arrive still (I'm picking it up this Saturday), but plan on starting it up even if the build isn't finished. I will take the media from my old pond and add it to the new set up too. I've not tried the Ammonia Alert thing, that sounds like a good idea and I'll have to do that for sure!

DoDad, do you happen to sell matala mats? I'm going to be needing a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sale full sheets, half sheets and rounds.
The full sheets are shipped freight because of their size.

koikeepr said:
I'm with ya, DoDad! I'm still waiting for my stock tank to arrive still (I'm picking it up this Saturday), but plan on starting it up even if the build isn't finished. I will take the media from my old pond and add it to the new set up too. I've not tried the Ammonia Alert thing, that sounds like a good idea and I'll have to do that for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm also having a Spring sale on all products. It ends the first of May.

Reaction score
I want to replace the sponge that comes with the Savio, and was thinking a green matala for that.

Do the rounds actually unfurl to open up into one huge long sheet? If so, what would the dimensions of it be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The rounds come in differant sizes, They are used in bio barrels.
I can get the savio green pads,

Reaction score
yes, I understand that. I mean, can you unroll the rounds and make one mongo long sheet? My stock tank will be 59" long is why I'm asking. Though, I would imagine it would be a bear to handle. I guess I could cut it in half.

Technically, since I have the sieve, I shouldn't have debris of any kind entering the bio filter and likely don't need any mats in it, and the strapping alone should suffice. I'm teeing in the skimmer after the sieve, so I guess I could have some debris get in. Which is why I was just thinking of a single layer of matala. Probably the green one as well. And then sitting the strapping on top of it.

Ask a Question