my 70 gallon skippy filter

Reaction score
Jameskoi...Sounds good. I looked last night and didn't have any scotch brites to test. Bottom line you're comfortable.....

Reaction score
Koiguy, where did you get your waterfall spillway, I need one. A few years ago I ordered a complete kit from someone at a pond sight, but can't find it now.

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie...I am about to build one too and I have been thinking about how to do some sort of weir....I was thinking about using a plastic dust pan, cutting it and using some sort of plastic epoxy or bolt it on like koi guy did...If you look through this thread he has some pics. ...BA

Reaction score
Baraccus said:
Hey Wolfie...I am about to build one too and I have been thinking about how to do some sort of weir....I was thinking about using a plastic dust pan, cutting it and using some sort of plastic epoxy or bolt it on like koi guy did...If you look through this thread he has some pics. ...BA

Never thought about using a dust pan. You could problably use some 30min epoxy to glue it on.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i made mine out of 1/2" plastic sheet stock and used a plastic welder to assemble it and stainless steel hardware to fasten it to the tank.

harbor freight sells a cheap plastic welder...dont know how good it works, i use one at my bro in laws work.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
plastic dust pan probably wont hold up to the weather very long..but ive seen some heavy duty rubberized plastic paint roller trays that could serve the purpose

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
slight change to design.. in order to break the syphon effect an back draining the filter back to pond i installed a tee to replace the upper 90* elbow fitting. works flawlessly. this way if for any reason your pump stops the filter wont drain back to pond. that is an artifical plant dropped into the tee to hide plumbing.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 394
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 385

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
call the closest store they may have RUBBER MADES on sale, and they carry another brand 60 gal $30.00 if i recall ..but they dont have the built in teirs... $60.00for a 110 gal. of the off brand....i think the other name is TUFF STUFF

Reaction score
the closest what store? I called tractor supply after I went online and they only have a 50 or a 100 and up from there. 100 for $70 is a good deal, thou the tractor supply is an hour away, but I go by it anytime I go up to Granby to visit. I would like a 60 for $30 as that should work good and be much easier to hide. That is the problem as it will be hard to hide this thing at the top of the hill between the fence and the pond. The 100 gal is 52” (Length from rock wall to the left) x 31” W (this being the width forward from the fence toward pond) x 25” High. Pretty big. Here are the pics that show you where I would have to have it go:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/building-8x10x5-deep-t3896.html
The fence will be pushed back a couple feet next year when I have time as I have 2' of property behind it, but I dont have the money to do it now. I do have to make it so I can drain it thou, but I think that wont be a problem to figure out, it will just have to be buried and come out to the side where the hill is lower and have a ball valve on it. Im thinking if I have basically 2 outlets to get 2 waterfalls it would be cool. They would have to be the same height, but im sure I could make them different in that one could be a higher drop where the rocks stop and anther could trickle down almost into the pond.

Also, for those that were talking about using epoxy, its not going to work on these as they are Polypropylene and you must plastic welt to Polypropylene. I dont have a plastic welder and they are expensive, but I might give the HF one a try as sense this is hevy duty, not having the temp control may not be a big deal, plus it dont have to look pretty like a car dashboard would have to.
For those that dont understand there is a lot of info here:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/
http://www.urethanesupply.com/identify.php

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the ones here have another brand i think is tuff stuff they have a 60 and a 110 gallon.they are 30 and 60 dollars, its a real good chance they have them there... they arent listed on line. store stock. rubber made 70 gal they may have to order there.

Reaction score
I beleive it is a 40gal for $30. I got the 100gal rubermaid mainly cause im sure it is sturdier with the steps creating reinfocements or like bands around it. The thing is hude thou, but I think it will fit and I will cover it in rocks to make it unnoticable. Im trying to determine if I need the liner to go under the bucket or just right up to the edge of it.I guess to the edge will work if I assure any water that lands on it goes into the pond. Thinking even just duck taping it to the edge of the bucket would work and a steep angle away from it into the pond. It might allow me to get a smaller liner as the pond is sort of a triangle in a way in that if I have to get a 20x25 there will be lots of wasted material. Havent decided weather I should go with the 60mil as I assume no one on here has yet. It more that shipping makes it expensive then the cost of the liner itself.
You didnt show your flush drain. Did you install one in the center of the bucket or are you using the oem one that comes with it?

Ask a Question